Thread: Lost in the outback

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not an expert in bush survival or bush survival techniques. The info I have supplied is from my life’s skills, knowledge and experience.

This information is provided in good faith, and is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Here’s a handy website with lots of great info.
    http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Portals/...rival_2007.pdf

Info you should consider leaving behind, with somebody you trust:
     Your full name
     Your nickname/s
     Your date of birth
     Your current residential address
     Your current business address
     Bank’s name and branch (you decide if you want to hand your account details over)
     Your mobile/landline/satellite phone number
     Your contactable email (skype, ect) address
     Your height
     Your weight
     All marks, scars, tattoos and piercings
     List all the medication (prescribed or otherwise) you’re on, and the frequency you take it
     What are you allergic to?
     If you wear a medic alert bracelet, what is its colour, number, and which part of your body do you wear it?
     The name and address of your local doctor
     A list of all sicknesses, illnesses, injuries and diseases you have
     The name and address of your dentist
     Make, model, colour, registration number and any accessories fitted to your vehicle
     Your HF radio callsign (HF selcal)
     What HF radio channels you will be operating on
     Who and what times you will be doing your HF radio skeds with
     What communications equipment you will be carrying with you (eg. UHF/AM CB, mobile phone, satellite phone, HF radio, laptop
     If carrying an EPIRB, the number of it
     If taking a pet, its name, make, model colour and age, Local Government Authority animal registration number
     Is your pet microchipped? What’s the number?
    Very recent pictures of:….
     Yourself (including marks, scars, tattoos)
     Your pet/s
     Your vehicle (4 pics –1 of each side and 1 x front and back – INCLUDING the number plate/s)
     Your vehicle fully kitted up and ready to go.
     Your campsite, the way you’d normally set it up/leave it

The bush can be as cruel and untrusting as the sea. All caution is to be exercised, before, during and after your adventure.

I’d also suggest you consider wearing flouro, glow in the day and night clothing. It should immensely help any rescuers, day and night.

If you change your route, tell somebody, BEFORE you start that route.

Feel free to copy and paste this list, and fill in the missing gaps. Trust me, it will go a long way to helping the emergency services locate and identify you, in your time of need.

Take care out there, and remember, proper planning prevents poor performance.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

AB (28th November 2011), Clunk (29th November 2011), GUtsy ute (4th December 2011), MudRunnerTD (27th March 2012), Plasnart (28th November 2011), rkinsey (29th November 2011), Stumpjumper (28th November 2011), the ferret (28th November 2011)