Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42 Engine Coolant Drain Plug

Hi Guys,

Stupid question: Does anybody know EXACTLY WHERE the engine coolant drain plug is??

The manual says it's and the left side rear of the engine block, which is extremely vague!!!

Does left-side mean inlet-maifold-side or exhaust-manifold-side? There are 2-Lefts in this world you know...

I un-screwed at 14mm plug on the Exhaust side and no coolant came out, and can't see any more plugs except for welsh plugs.

Need to empty the coolant from the engine, because it has Cargo Seal-up that needs to come out.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had t remove the factory plate that was blocking it. then it was on my left from the drivers position. So right as your looking at the front. Thats for a 92 model.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left is Left while you sit in the vehicle, get under and look up under the exhaust mani.
    Find the engine mount go back 3 welchplugs and next is the drain.
    Give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day, but give him a case of dynamite and soon the village will be showered with mud and seaweed and unidentifiable chunks of fish."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer40 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Stupid question: Does anybody know EXACTLY WHERE the engine coolant drain plug is??

The manual says it's and the left side rear of the engine block, which is extremely vague!!!

Does left-side mean inlet-maifold-side or exhaust-manifold-side? There are 2-Lefts in this world you know...

I un-screwed at 14mm plug on the Exhaust side and no coolant came out, and can't see any more plugs except for welsh plugs.

Need to empty the coolant from the engine, because it has Cargo Seal-up that needs to come out.

Thanks.
    lookiing at the manual ive got its on the left ,inlet manifold
    good luck with it

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't make it easy...

took a picture, but the "insert image" is asking for am http:// site to upload image... how do you do that? Who has the time for such things.

Anyway I have to descibe in words:

Exhaust side of engine --> Engine Mount --> 1st 40mm Welsh Plug direct above --> 2nd 40mm Welsh Plug --> Square Plate with 4 x 10mm bolts --> 14mm plug when removed nothing came out --> 3rd 40mm Welsh plug --> then right up the top near the head is a 12mm bolt covered in oil, etc, which is very hard to remove.

I tried removing the plate with the 4 bolts, but it's stuck on good. Don't want to wedge screwdriver and bash it with a hammer... could deform it.

had a look on the inlet manifold side could not see anything there...

Only thing I can think of is the get a 40mm replacement welsh plug, and bash out a welsh plug to empty the coolant in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    click on 'go advanced' then click on the 'paper clip' and you can upload direct from you computer that way, just make sure the size is small enough to upload

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its right at the back of the motor
    take a staight line down from the back of the head down a bit from the top of the flywheel houseing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See here.............just so happens I am underneath cleaning...............again, bloody salt lake mud!!! starts to rust in seconds!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day, but give him a case of dynamite and soon the village will be showered with mud and seaweed and unidentifiable chunks of fish."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stumpjumper For This Useful Post:

oldtimer40 (27th November 2011), ozjeff (19th May 2018), urilabob (24th July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now these here pics are a TB 4.2 E, efi model 92, I think thats the same as yours.
    There should be coolant behind this plug, I cracked mine and its there alright. SO if theres no coolant coming out is it blocked? Try poking a wire in the hole see if theres sludge.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper View Post
    See here.............just so happens I am underneath cleaning...............again, bloody salt lake mud!!! starts to rust in seconds!!!
    jeez that is clean under there!!!!!! Almost makes me feel like I should get under mine and give it a good scrub............. almost lol................ think I might wait until the missus has a job for me then maybe I'll go and hide under the car lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast