Thread: AIT turbo kit on TD42

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AIT turbo kit on TD42

Hi guys I am new here, I was wondering if anyone out there has a AIT turbo kit fitted to their TD42. I just bought my GQ Patrol and want to fit dual batteries but the air filter they use in this kit (18yrs ago) sits right where the second battery goes. I was thinking of removing it and running the primary filter only ?? any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm? sounds like you have an aftermarket airbox or something out of a TB42 maybe??

If the air box sits over the left wheel arch then it could be a good thing mate, the primary box is a little small, i run one but have done some mods to make it breath a little better and run a better filter.

Can you post a pic of your engine bay? I have never heard of a AIT Turbo setup i dont think?

You turbo needs air. Air in = Air Out = Performance.

There are a few alternatives and they include ripping it out too.

A pic would be good and take a measurement of the inlet and outlet side of the box mate. What filter does it run?

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Killametre (26th November 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your air filter looks something like the first photo then you will have trouble fitting a second battery.
    The GU TD42T or ZD30 air filter housings (as per second photo) will fit in the front corner of a GQ engine bay and only require you to drill one or two holes to make them fit.
    Alternatively you could get an aftermarket Patroldocta air box which fits in the same position as the GU factory air boxes but flows better (third photo).

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YNOT; 26th November 2011 at 08:27 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

G-ForceCrew (8th January 2012), Killametre (26th November 2011), MudRunnerTD (26th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But Tony if he has the setup in the first pic he'd be nuts to take it out surely?? If you do mate i got first dibs!!!

He'd be near on better off looking to fit a second battery in the back if he has to? I have seen a guy turn the battery around on the right side and fit 2 next to each other front to back there, tight squeeze but all good.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    But Tony if he has the setup in the first pic he'd be nuts to take it out surely?? If you do mate i got first dibs!!!

He'd be near on better off looking to fit a second battery in the back if he has to? I have seen a guy turn the battery around on the right side and fit 2 next to each other front to back there, tight squeeze but all good.
    Yes and no. You'd be hard pressed to find a better flowing high capacity air filter assembly than the big Donaldsons, but the ZD30 airboxes flow more than enough for most regular turbo set ups, the Patroldocta air box is somewhere in the middle of those two.
    Andrew has to weigh up his options, including your suggestion of fitting 2 batteries on the R/H inner gaurd, and decide which option will best suit his needs. To fit 2 batteries on the R/H inner gaurd I would suggest reinforcing the gaurd, they have been known to crack under the weight of just one battery.

Tony

9. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Yes and no. You'd be hard pressed to find a better flowing high capacity air filter assembly than the big Donaldsons, but the ZD30 airboxes flow more than enough for most regular turbo set ups, the Patroldocta air box is somewhere in the middle of those two.
    Andrew has to weigh up his options, including your suggestion of fitting 2 batteries on the R/H inner gaurd, and decide which option will best suit his needs. To fit 2 batteries on the R/H inner gaurd I would suggest reinforcing the gaurd, they have been known to crack under the weight of just one battery.

Tony
    Yep good point mate, Mine has a crack on the right side from hard driving so fair call.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

YNOT (26th November 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys mmm photos gotta work out that yet??? never done it before. My filter looks like none of the abve sorry., it looks a lot like and EB falcon one but it is cast aluminium it takes a flat panel style filter, it is a dog to change and it had the wrong one in it some local mechanic shop has been servicing the car and from what i can tell it has had the wrong air filter in this housing for some time, lucky the primary one is still there. My argument for just running the primary one is that atm all the air has to go through it anyway so what is the difference if it is the only one there??? I do acept that there may be performance gained from better flow but it has been running fine through both for 19yrs.
    Thanks Andrew

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the primary filter is a vertical filter you probably get away with using that on it's own.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Tony yes it is the original vertical round unit may need a better element ?? K&N or similar if it is the only one i suppose

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    attempt to post pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast