User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing EGT Guage and Boost on TD42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant find a place to pick up boost from in TD42?

G'Day All

I have been reading some really interesting threads on here relating to what i am going to do over the weekend but have a few questions that need clarifying.

I have a aftermarket dump pipe installed on my rig with the bolt that can be removed for the EGT guage install after the turbo. Should i use this to guage my EGT temps? or should i drill and tap a hole in the manifold for the sender?

Option one sounds easier to me as im thinking that if i drill and tap the manifold i would have to remove it so the shavings ect dont end up going through the system.

The guages i have are the alarm ones so maybe i can set my alarms off to start warning at lets say 450 instead of 500 deg to make up for the temp differance before and after the turbo?

What are your thoughts.
    Last edited by Dozer; 26th November 2011 at 04:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate use the one in the dump pipe, it will be fine and well placed for Post Turbo temps. i have run a pre turbo and a post turbo and the pre turbo setup just did my head in, the temps spike allot more and are higher and you are always trying to guess the conversion on the fly and it'll just fry your brain.

When most on the internet quote EGTs they are talking about post temp readings so no point coming to the table with a heap of pre temp readings with very little to compare it too. Dont do it mate it will give ya the shyts!

The difference between pre and post turbo will be closer to 200 to 250 degrees mate!!! so you will see up into 750 or 800!!! How confident are you making the conversions on the fly when your towing a trailer through Central Aus pushing 750 degrees up a hill????

Put it in Post turbo and then you can compare to all and have a yard stick.

my 2c
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 25th November 2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Dozer (25th November 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,714 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope you can get that bolt out mate. Is it those Allen key ones?

Sometimes they seize up with the heat and cold and just don't come out.

Spray it with wd40 tonight mate and pray that it comes out this weekend.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Dozer (25th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers guys, ill use the one in the domp pipe then. Luckily it has a bolt AB, im taking a guess its going to be mucho funo getting that bolt out. Sprayed some WD40 in it earlier hahaha, ill post up a bit of a wright up on it on sunday with pics.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got lucky, the bolt came out no problems at all and just screwed the new sender right in. So far the troll has been good to me hahaha. Out of curiousity, when i start up the rig how log should it take the EGT guage to show a reading? the figures start at 200 and i ran the truck for about 3 or so minutes and the needle didnt budge? not sure if this is normal as this is a first for me.

I am stuck now though with the boost guage, im not sure where to pick up the boot pressure from, i had a surf TD years ago and installed a boost guage in that with ease as i just plumbed into the planum where one of the hoses branched off. This one however is running the front mount and is set up different so i am hesitent to cut any hoses without being 100%.

Here are a few shots of my bay.,
    This is a shot of the intercooler hose running into the blot, it seems to have a bolt in it and i was wondering if i could get a piece for this and hook up, not sure if it is the best place to pick up a legit reading from though?

Here are a few shots of the motor / turbo

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about drilling and welding in a bit of small pipe to that black pipe in the first pick, thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    Thinking about drilling and welding in a bit of small pipe to that black pipe in the first pick, thoughts?
    Yep that will be the best spot mate. Ferret wrote in another thread the other day that you could drill a hole in it and install a tubeless tyre valve and strip the valve out and you have a thread. Simple and easy.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers Mudrunner, i read that one. Just not too sure about doing something like that and thinking welding a solid bit of tube coming off would be the best option. Im sure this fitting is steel and not alloy so should be a simple job.
    Last edited by Dozer; 26th November 2011 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ended up making a custom little fitting and welding a nozzle to it. Seems to be doing the job and looks neat. I have done a wright up in my build thread incase somone goes to install a boost guage in a TD42 with a front mount intercooler here
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...bo-Wagon/page3

Cheers for the help guys

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would I put one on my NA td42?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast