Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital SLR Camera Advice..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digital SLR Camera Advice..

I am looking at the Canon 550D with stock 18-55mm lens as a christmas gift for my wife and I.
    Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this camera or better choices
    Give me a computer and i can tell you everything about it, but when it comes to camera i understand the specs but have never owned anything of this style.

My wife loves her scapbooking and takes lots of photos for the family and dogs, but wants to get into some landscapes and bush photography during 4wd trips (I want lots of photos of the Patrol, HeHeHe). We don't want a heavy\large camera as we feel it will stay in the car. The 550D is much lighter than I had expected and easy enough to use in the point and shoot environment which it will be primarily used.

On a related note. what speed memory card should we be getting

Thanks in advance
    ScottyB
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Scotty B,

My camera knowledge unfortunately is confined to the film age :-). There are others more knowledgeable who'll jump in soon no doubt.

The solution I came up with for loverly wife was to upgrade her pocket digital, and also get an SLR. The pocket digital is an ama2ing thing, and now seems to live permanently in her handbag. The SLR comes out when she is feeling arty :-)

We went with the Canon brand for the SLR because a friend of the loverly wife also has a Canon and the thought was they could swap bits on joint outings. The pocket is a Sony.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Canon 500D about 12 months ago, and have found it great to use and easy to learn with. I'm sure the 550D would be no different.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my gf a Nikon D3100 twin lens kit (18-55mm & 55-300mm) for her birthday. I got advice from a friend who does a lot of photography, he recommended that camera and to use:
    http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au
    She was absolutely rapt and it is a great camera, the other thing I organised was a 3 hour introductory course which I got through zizzle. It only cost $39 ea (I went too, didn't want to but she insisted - glad she did in the end) and I would definitely recommend it, just do get an idea of what does what. We also got some really handy info about what settings to turn on and off etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like anything else, probably more personal choice than anything, I bought my Cannon EOS300D because I grew up using my old mans Cannon (film) and I put it through some tough 4x4 outings.

What ever you choose, I would recommend getting a twin lens deal ( 18-55mm & 55-300mm ) bit more 2 purchase up front but buying lenses are very expensive 2 purchase afterwards. I got 18-55mm & 55-200mm in my deal and 2 this day I am still kicking myself I didn't get 18-300mm.

SLR's aren't heavy and even with a twin lens kit they arn't that bulky, ( wouldn't leave something like that in my car though ).

In regards to what speed memory card...... depends what your taking photo's of.......... any action shots, 4x4 action, sports etc.............the faster the better. Still shots a slow card will be fine.

This is only based on my knowledge of camera's and I'm no photographer.

Maybe you should PM 04OFF, he knows how 2 use a camera.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 550D twin lens kit earlier this year. It is great entry level DSLR camera, and for me as a novice I couldn't be happier with the results.

Here is a pic of sunrise over Lake Eyre taken in April this year, note the camera is pointed directly at the sun!

Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going for a DSLR I'd suggest checking out some of the great mirrorless cameras out there now. They do all that you'd do with a DSLR, but are smaller & easier to cart around.
    If you can live without the niceties of the very latest offerings there are new mirrorless cameras out there which will give a lot of bang for the buck for around $1k or less..... new & with a couple of lenses.

Eg Sony A6000 - check it out along with comparable others.

I bought the A6500 - much the same camera but 2 generations on & with 'in camera' optical stabilisation (which I wanted) & 4k video (which I didn't). '

One reason I wanted to upgrade was for better low light performance. The following photo isn't special in anyway, just a 'run of the mill' example of a handheld snapshot at 1/60th second as I was walking around Launceston's Automobile museum under not particularly bright artificial lights. No editing. Sooner or later you will want to do some editing & having a camera which can shoot Raw rather than just JPG's will allow you to do far more. This photo could be enhanced in lots of ways but the downside they are big files. The original of this is around 24Mb.

Last edited by Cuppa; 3rd April 2018 at 07:07 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (3rd April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,003 Times in 3,398 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Before going for a DSLR I'd suggest checking out some of the great mirrorless cameras out there now. They do all that you'd do with a DSLR, but are smaller & easier to cart around.
    If you can live without the niceties of the very latest offerings there are new mirrorless cameras out there which will give a lot of bang for the buck for around $1k or less..... new & with a couple of lenses.

Eg Sony A6000 - check it out along with comparable others.

I bought the A6500 - much the same camera but 2 generations on & with 'in camera' optical stabilisation (which I wanted) & 4k video (which I didn't). '
    Thanks Cuppa. I just read an article that said mirrorless might not perform well in low light conditions. If that's true I'd be put off them somewhat as early morning/evening pics are good to take.

https://www.beachcamera.com/blog/dsl...se-whats-best/

I do note your mirrorless photos have genarally been excellent, but cant remember a low light one. Have you had any "cons" experience with yours?

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with what Cuppa has said above. I was given a Canon 550D with twin lense kit for my 50th birthday, and we now have canon macro, telephoto, wide angle etc, but whilst we have the armoury to shoot just about anything with great effect - members of a camera club, so run in manual, shoot in raw, editing etc, the bag gets bloody heavy. My daughter bought a canon mirrorless and its so small, and the lense range is unbelievable, has really high resolution and isn't much bigger than a mobile phone. Its rated at 18mp, which for shots blown up to say 300 x 450 is fine, depending on ISO of course. I have toyed with the higher precision 5D MK3 and the new 7D but can't see how a mere mortal with slowly failing eyesight is going to actually get any better with a camera cost 7 times what mine did. I would recommend staying with the factory lenses unless you get a specific referral otherwise. Go for the units with internal stabilisation for sure. Sigma do make very good lenses however there are definitely differences between the quality of some lenses, but thats only when you get a highly trained professional micro review then compare. Going for a full frame camera is great if you are really going to get serious and maybe blow up images to large size of go down the publishing route. We have a couple of guys in the club with them, but honestly, whilst they are good photographers, most of the difference occurs within the editing ie photoshop or similar.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another vote for mirrorless from me... I went for the Olympus M5 when I retired my old steam driven 20Kg DSLR but any mirrorless would do if you don't like Olympus
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast