OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 GU III 3.0l Turbo Diesel - Looking to buy, better option?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2002 GU III 3.0l Turbo Diesel - Looking to buy, better option?

Hi there everyone,

New to the site and wanting to purchase a patrol. Have been looking at a 2002 GU III 3.0l MY02 that has done 146,000. All seemed to be in good condition. Not looking at towing much, maybe a small box tralier occasionally or a small tinnie. Looking to be used on the sand islands off brisbane.

Was wondering if this is generally a good year model etc. I have read a bit saying that the 4.2L is better but a little out of the price range at the moment. Looking around the $18k mark

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfboogy View Post
    Hi there everyone,

New to the site and wanting to purchase a patrol. Have been looking at a 2002 GU III 3.0l MY02 that has done 146,000. All seemed to be in good condition. Not looking at towing much, maybe a small box tralier occasionally or a small tinnie. Looking to be used on the sand islands off brisbane.

Was wondering if this is generally a good year model etc. I have read a bit saying that the 4.2L is better but a little out of the price range at the moment. Looking around the $18k mark

Cheers
    That money should see you into a solid rig mate - id be surprised if you didn't hunt around a bit at not finding a TD42 (even possibly turboed) with a few more miles on it, but in good nick with some mods already done ..

Not sure about year models versus others and there is definitely people on here with those answers, but don't throw away the hard earned just yet mate - have a good hunt (even in other states - sometimes the inconvenience of a plane flight and a days drive home is well worth it to score a good deal). Others on here would happily help you in sussing out the cars in other locations - its what we do!!

Good luck with the hunt!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question before we buy something is what I everyone's thoughts on the average life span of the ZD30 TD engines. If we were to purchase a 2003 with 250k on it are we likely to be looking for something again in 2 years???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought that exact model a few months ago after much research. I spoke to the mechanic and he advised that if the engine is looked after they are a great car. He recommended an air flow sensor, oil catch can, pyro and boost guages and turbo timer to be done.

As to your other question re: engine - no matter what engine you have or what car if it is the engine's time then it is. However my mechanic further advised that because everyone is aware of the TD30 engines and they are looked after they can last longer than other engines!
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by belzi82 View Post
    I bought that exact model a few months ago after much research. I spoke to the mechanic and he advised that if the engine is looked after they are a great car. He recommended an air flow sensor, oil catch can, pyro and boost guages and turbo timer to be done.

As to your other question re: engine - no matter what engine you have or what car if it is the engine's time then it is. However my mechanic further advised that because everyone is aware of the TD30 engines and they are looked after they can last longer than other engines!
    it nice to read this i'm also look at buying a TD30 03-05 and hearing bad thing about them it nice to hear some get lemon and mod bad but most are good

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi tfboogy
    I am also new to the site and have a 2003 GUIII 3.0L Auto with 131,000 on the clock. The main reason in bougth mine second hand with 127,000km was because it fitted my needs and price range. It was a genuine one owner with full nissan service history (for what it,s worth) and has been serviced every 5,000km (accroding to logbook). It had a chip and exhaust upgrade do before i bought it. As its not a daily driver it sits in the garage 5 days a week with the od short drive on the weekend. Mainly used to tow 2 tone ski boat (does it with ease) up and down the coast 4 times a year and always take it on family hol,s.
    Since buying i have done the general servicing myself (will get mechanic to do all other) i will keep up the 5,000km service of replace oil,oil filter,fuel filter and air filter. Hoping this will prolong the engine life.
    Hope this helps you make your decision.

Jimmy

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

I actually just bought myself the above mentioned patrol and picked it up only a few days ago, although mine had 168,000km on the clock and it seems I paid quite a bit more than what is on offer there (I paid $24k but from a dealer with a full service as part of the deal and 3 year warranty). Being in Melbourne, I had a look at some ads around for the same model and they all seem fairly around the same price. Did I pay a bit too much or did I do ok? I know the dealer was trying to get rid of it, he originally had it advertised for $27k.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filodore View Post
    Hey guys,

I actually just bought myself the above mentioned patrol and picked it up only a few days ago, although mine had 168,000km on the clock and it seems I paid quite a bit more than what is on offer there (I paid $24k but from a dealer with a full service as part of the deal and 3 year warranty). Being in Melbourne, I had a look at some ads around for the same model and they all seem fairly around the same price. Did I pay a bit too much or did I do ok? I know the dealer was trying to get rid of it, he originally had it advertised for $27k.
    Seems pretty high to me but if it lasts and you like it who cares? it's yours now enjoy!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought an 02 GUIII with 144k at $21,500 in Melbourne.
    There weren't too many at less than 200k and also under the $20,000 mark.

I bought the 3.0 as it's not a daily and I have the time to do all the NADS mods over time (initial purchase sucked the bank dry) without it affecting my day to day commuting.