OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K&n air filter for 3l commonrail?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K&n air filter for 3l commonrail?

G'day people, i recently bought a K&N filter for my 3L commonrail and it started to power surge. the revs would just drop every 3 to 4 seconds at idle and while driving it was the same. i put the old filter back in and it seems to be fine now, has this happened to anyone else? the K&N was ment for the zd30 so i can't understand why it did this or could it be something else because i also fitted a oil catch can myself btu i am pretty sure it was doing this before that any help would be great, cheers...
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you take it out of the plastic wrapping and install with all that excess oil on it?? Mine was similar and I took it back out, cleaned it with the K&N cleaner an then lightly (very light) sprayed the under side only with the K&N oil ... has been fine ever since.

Just seems to be too clogged up with the oil it comes with in the wrapping ..

Hope that helps - good luck mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you have the same thing happen with the fluctuating revs?
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yessum boss - but on a petrol (and well before I installed the turbo). It was like the MAF was struggling with having air/not having air and would throw in petrol to compensate ... only assuming something similar is happening with the diesel ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats exactly what seems to be happening, so you reckon that there is too much oil if so thats a bloody relief. i was hoping it was something silly like that there's nothin worse than these things happening and then next thing you've got mechanics telling you its the injectors and pump.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grimace View Post
    thats exactly what seems to be happening, so you reckon that there is too much oil if so thats a bloody relief. i was hoping it was something silly like that there's nothin worse than these things happening and then next thing you've got mechanics telling you its the injectors and pump.
    Not sure what it could be mate, but when I got mine it was pretty heavily laden in oil and essentially, so much so that it couldn't breath (the filter light was going on at about 2000rpm ...

Fingers crossed yours is a similar problem - best to rule that out at least before parting with any hard earned!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    The CRD does not like aftermarket filters. IMO stay the original equipment. The aftermarket filters could also cause your MAF to fail. This has happened to a patrol owner on another forumn.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigG For This Useful Post:

AB (21st November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got home from work and put the old filter back in and it still does the same thing so is the MAF sensor cactus? if so how much are they? also where the bloody hell does that live???

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grimace View Post
    just got home from work and put the old filter back in and it still does the same thing so is the MAF sensor cactus? if so how much are they? also where the bloody hell does that live???
    You will now have to clean the MAF with MAf cleaner and try again with the old filter. I think excess oil has got onto the MAF

Also the MAF is just after your air filter on the intake tube. It has two torx screws on it. Size T20 from memory
    Last edited by Maxhead; 21st November 2011 at 09:36 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i shall buy a new genuine filter tommorow and the cleaner also. how much is the cleaner and where do you get it? also thanks everyone for all the info! i also forgot to mention that i fitted a oil catch can the other day myself, i fitted it where the hose comes from the rear of the rocker cover at the rear of the passenger side of the engine and goes to the front. i already had the problem with the surging but i did fit the K'N filter about a week prior and soon after the problem started....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast