Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets hear about your wonderfull islands

Had the opportunity to work at the v8`s in Hamilton and found the people in New Zealand to be fantastic,friendly ,helpfull and real good fun to be around. So come on guys let us hear of some of your adventures. While I was there I was able to use our works hire 4wd to do alittle exploring of the north island.What great country all though I belive there are not that many 4wd tracks open to te public, yet there are plenty of out of the way places to explore.I found bridle falls worth a stop and the long walk to the bottom wellworth the effort. So lets hear sbout your wonderfull islands.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pearcey et al,
    I'm really a boaty currently on shore leave. I am glad you enjoyed NZ so much. The north Island has lots to offer and some really spectacular scenery.The far norrth is almost like a tropical island. Warm beaches. palm trees etc. Great place.
    I grew up in Christchurch which is nowhere near as pretty as it was but has lots of spirit still. The rest of the south Island is spectacular. Spectacularly different. You jump into your (Safari) and drive for an hour and find that you have gone from lovely beaches to amazing mountains.

A few years ago I did a tour of yacht crewing in the Med and Carribean before returning to NZ. We are now dragging our own little boat around (hence our Safari) and we can't think of a place we'd rather be than NZ.

Our favourite spot at present is the Beautiful Abel Tasman park. By Nelson. Spectacular beaches. Clear, clear water. Lots of sun. Native bush. Great stuff !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CptClinac For This Useful Post:

pearcey (9th February 2012)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day CptClinac.
    I feel for all who have suffered in and around Christchurch due to earthquakes and after shocks, but knowing how resilient Kiwis are they will be back better and stronger.
    One of my sons work mates is from Christchurch and came over here to get away the first quake but then went back for Christmas holidays and lobbed there when the second big one struck. He and his family have been lucky enough not to have suffered to many problems. I only spent a short time traveling around due to work commitments but crammed in as much as
    i could. We were based in Hamilton which has some great parks along the Waikato river and also around lake Rotoroa. I traveled out to the town of Raglan on the west coast via all the back roads I could find. this is a great little fishing village. Then headed north to Port Waikato on to Waiuku, Pukekohe then Auckland all the time using as many dirt and back roads as possible.
    The scenery was fantastic and the black sand beaches something to behold. Headed north from Auckland up as far as Dargaville then east to Ruakaka then south buck to Hamilton all the the scenery was brilliant. One other trip was east to Te Aroha then north to Paeroa which is in the gold country and is of great interest to me but sadly not enough time,hopefully I`ll get back one day.I have great memories of fine food,excellent wine and very friendly people. Will post some photo`s when I find them

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pearcey,
    We're back in Christchurch again for our daughter's birthday (she will kick me very hard if even wisper anything about how many she's already had).
    Things are definately getting back to some sort of normalcy. But there is an incredible amount of damage. As you will already know, entire suburbs have sunk by 0.5 to 1m. This does not sound much but lots of CHCH is built on swamp and therefore not far above sea level. We drove olong parts of the Avon at high tide and were horified to glance out of the window at the river level (about window-sill level in out old Terrano !). That's why entire suburbs have been "red zoned". It is also distressing when we drive through town. So many buildings are gone. So many businesses are gone or moved. It is surprising how often you drive from 'A' to 'B' by go down Hereford St, hang a left at Atkinson's Pub, turn right at the convent etc. 10 Minutes later you're lost because the so-familair waypoints are gone.
    Christchurch will be back. But it will be a very different city.
    Hamilton Gardens are most definitely very spectacular. We specially enjoyed the international garden portion. The Italian, Chinese and Japanese bits were very well done.
    When you were up Raglan way did you manage to find the hot water section of beach? There is on on the west coast as well as the famous east coast 'Hot Water Beach'. You really need to be there at low tide (springs) and dig a pool in the sand. The tide was not optimum for us and it's not easy to dig a hole in the wet sand as the rest of the beach tries to get iun on the act. Rather good fun but definitely more exercise than spa.

PS We had a great time travelling round Tasmania a decade or so back and look forward to crossing the ditch some time too.
    PPS NZ actually has 3 island. The North Island, The South Island, and The Very Big West Island !

Dave

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CptClinac View Post
    Hi Pearcey,
    We're back in Christchurch again for our daughter's birthday (she will kick me very hard if even wisper anything about how many she's already had).
    Things are definately getting back to some sort of normalcy. But there is an incredible amount of damage. As you will already know, entire suburbs have sunk by 0.5 to 1m. This does not sound much but lots of CHCH is built on swamp and therefore not far above sea level. We drove olong parts of the Avon at high tide and were horified to glance out of the window at the river level (about window-sill level in out old Terrano !). That's why entire suburbs have been "red zoned". It is also distressing when we drive through town. So many buildings are gone. So many businesses are gone or moved. It is surprising how often you drive from 'A' to 'B' by go down Hereford St, hang a left at Atkinson's Pub, turn right at the convent etc. 10 Minutes later you're lost because the so-familair waypoints are gone.
    Christchurch will be back. But it will be a very different city.
    Hamilton Gardens are most definitely very spectacular. We specially enjoyed the international garden portion. The Italian, Chinese and Japanese bits were very well done.
    When you were up Raglan way did you manage to find the hot water section of beach? There is on on the west coast as well as the famous east coast 'Hot Water Beach'. You really need to be there at low tide (springs) and dig a pool in the sand. The tide was not optimum for us and it's not easy to dig a hole in the wet sand as the rest of the beach tries to get iun on the act. Rather good fun but definitely more exercise than spa.

PS We had a great time travelling round Tasmania a decade or so back and look forward to crossing the ditch some time too.
    PPS NZ actually has 3 island. The North Island, The South Island, and The Very Big West Island !

Dave
    Hi Dave
    Our news reports don't show the true devastation only the city center and a glimpse of the suburbs.
    Sadly time restraints didn`t allow for a real tour of the north island so we just grabbed a map and went for it.
    Hopefully I`ll be able to get back and put some real time in and have a good look around.
    Yes i believe some Kiwi`s consider they have a big piece dirt just over the ditch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I live in Whangarei, which is east of Dargaville, FYI Pearcy. You are quite right that there are not very many 4WD tracks open to the public on PUBLIC land, our governing body the 'Department of Conservation' think that in the Northland area walking is the only way we should be able to experience our amazing bush areas. Thankfully in the south island they are alot more open minded and I have been lucky enough to explore a few tracks and otherwise inaccessible areas via 4WD down there. The local 4WD clubs in the Northland area have been operating for a number of years and thus have access to lots of private land where tracks are plentiful, so all is not lost. I recommend that if you are after somewhere to head bush up here, contact one of the local clubs and tag along with them, it worked for me, and now I'm a member!