User Tag List

Thread: MQ V8 conversion hassles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MQ V8 conversion hassles

I just embarked on a holden 304 v8 (injected) with T700 trans conversion for my MQ that originally had the L28 and auto trans with the separate transfer.
    All was going smooth until i dummied up the trans and realised it is too wide and fouls the front driveshaft.
    In all the months of reading I did leading up to doing this i never came across any mention of this being an issue. Is there a way around this problem? I have a T350 trans to but measuring that it looks to be just as wide.
    Im not to keen on going to a manual as i would have to source a box and clutch pedal and associated parts. The original auto is cactus so not keen on having to get that rebuilt to do this conversion either.
    Pretty bummed that i just spent $1400 on a suspension kit and thought the v8 would be a straightforward conversion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome 2 the forum, post up an intro in the intro thread when you get a chance, more members are likely 2 reply 2 a question after a intro is left.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard.

Sounds like your intending to build a pretty pokey Rig.

A turbo 350 is nowhere new as big as a turbo 700 in size mate or as heavy but you'll have to spend a bit to make a good one.

I'd like to get a better idea of what your dealing with so posting some pics of what your trying to setup & whats bringing you unstuck may help us with your question too mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is the tranmission pan, on the GM trannys they are offset to the drivers side which is also the driveshaft side on patrols. With the T700 sitting ruffly in position the front driveshaft runs straight under the edge of the pan rail and will hit it when the suspension moves up. The T350 is just as wide in the pan so I think it will have the same problem. I'm sure ive seen adverts for mq patrols with v8's and GM trannys so i'm stumped.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not done the conversion myself so I have no hands on but I'd give this mob a bell & see whay they have to say.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...s-4wd-Adaptors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They dont so anything for MQ/MK anymore.
    I'm thinking now about sourcing a holden T5 manual box. The manual will be narrower so should fit and the cost of the T5 would be similar to the cost of buying and converting a nissan 5 speed.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerSlide Racing View Post
    They dont so anything for MQ/MK anymore.
    I'm thinking now about sourcing a holden T5 manual box. The manual will be narrower so should fit and the cost of the T5 would be similar to the cost of buying and converting a nissan 5 speed.
    Not many conversion places sell much for the MQ/MKs , just aint that much demand
    Whos gunna pay a grand or so for a complete near 30 year old 4bee, then spend 2 times that on a conversion kit, plus engine, zorst,wiring ect ??? to still be an ol leafy rig
    A touch more up front for a GQ , then sure
    Comparing cost for the T5 Vs standard patrol 5 speed box ???
    Id look right into it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    Not many conversion places sell much for the MQ/MKs , just aint that much demand
    Whos gunna pay a grand or so for a complete near 30 year old 4bee, then spend 2 times that on a conversion kit, plus engine, zorst,wiring ect ??? to still be an ol leafy rig
    A touch more up front for a GQ , then sure
    Comparing cost for the T5 Vs standard patrol 5 speed box ???
    Id look right into it
    Actually mate, I did! I'm the moron who spent all that cash on putting an injected 304 into an MQ! I was going to put the T400 box in, but it looked like too much hassle, so I just stuck with the Patrol 5 speed box!

Let me tell you right now friend, you are in for one HELL of a conversion. Mine took around 3 months, and it is a b@stard of a job, but EXTREMELY worth it in the end. Mine is an injected 304 with the 355 stroker kit, and worked to the sh!thouse. For the conversion kit, I went through Dellow Automotive. The kit came with a bell housing for commodore engine to patrol gearbox, custom clutch, clutch fork, engine mounts, other assorted bits that I can't remember the name of, and a nice little keyring!
    I gotta run, but if you have any questions, stick em up!
    1980 MQ Patrol
    5 inch total lift
    355 Stroker V8
    37 inch Goodyear MTR's

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, i'll join your intresting discussion about mq conv. to v8.
    do you have any drowings of conversion plate and maybe engine mounts for set: GM v8 plus mq trany 5speed? maybe for landrover 4.0 v8? i'm asking for that becouse it is so rare in europe that you can not do it or buy it or even ask someone how to do it.
    those GM and LR engines are avaliable on market so..