Thread: 4wd tracks that lead to locked gates

Thanks
    Thanked 20,778 Times in 8,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs down 4wd tracks that lead to locked gates

In my area (Toolangi State Forest) and surrounding areas of Buxton, Kinglake, etc I am constantly finding tracks back to the main roads are gated off.

Rossco and I went for a quick drive last night and we always enter the area from Old Toolangi Road which has dozens of public tracks to enter off there.

Lastnight we went down a track for an hour or so to find the track ends up going nowhere.

Along this track we found it lead to 3 exits back to the main Melba Highway and all 3 exits are gated off with Padlocks.

I understand that maybe local DSE have blocked these gates from people entering off the Main highway but there must be dozens of people like us who enter the tracks from the other side to find yourself stuck.

I find this happens a lot in our journey's and we turn around and drive another hour back on the same tracks to get out again which is not only boring but can be dangerous if you climb down into a valley that you may not be able to get back up if It's wet.

Anyways, what to do....

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this....Does anyone take action and phone the local departments to notify them of public entrances one side leading to locked gates on the other or???

Maybe MudRunner can throw some light on this???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Tobes (16th May 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    In my area (Toolangi State Forest) and surrounding areas of Buxton, Kinglake, etc I am constantly finding tracks back to the main roads are gated off.

Rossco and I went for a quick drive last night and we always enter the area from Old Toolangi Road which has dozens of public tracks to enter off there.

Lastnight we went down a track for an hour or so to find the track ends up going nowhere.

Along this track we found it lead to 3 exits back to the main Melba Highway and all 3 exits are gated off with Padlocks.

I understand that maybe local DSE have blocked these gates from people entering off the Main highway but there must be dozens of people like us who enter the tracks from the other side to find yourself stuck.

I find this happens a lot in our journey's and we turn around and drive another hour back on the same tracks to get out again which is not only boring but can be dangerous if you climb down into a valley that you may not be able to get back up if It's wet.

Anyways, what to do....

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this....Does anyone take action and phone the local departments to notify them of public entrances one side leading to locked gates on the other or???

Maybe MudRunner can throw some light on this???
    There are quite severe penalties for by-passing a DSE Locked Gate. I would contact DSE in you area about this

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Totally understand and agree this is wrong to do. Problem being sometimes there is no hope in climbing the hill back up where you came from in that wet condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Andy,

Yes mate it can be a real pain in the back side, it should not really happen mid season but at this time of the year it is much more likely.

What is not widely advertised and should have been is that in many areas Seasonal Closures have been extended due to the very heavy rain in most parts. Certainly the Otways are on notice, they should have opened on cup weekend, it was delayed and this weekend was the new opening but that has been put back indefinitely due to the rain fall. If you go down there you will find locked gates everywhere.

I can only imagine that the local DSE and Parks are trying to limit the traffic due to the rain. This is being determined at a local level though and each region will be managing their own patch in this regard.

Hope that helps
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (11th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fixed the posts...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey MudRunnerTD,
    Where can you find the info about which tracks are gated off?
    Is there a website?
    "Gunter" - 1993 Nissan Patrol GQ DX II, 6cyl 4.2L Diesel. 2" Lift EFS suspension. 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ (285/75 R16). Warn Winch

Thanks
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazodude View Post
    Hey MudRunnerTD,
    Where can you find the info about which tracks are gated off?
    Is there a website?
    Hey Mazo,

you will really need to contact your local Parks Authority, at this time of year you will only get the right info by making a call to the office as the Web wont hold current advice.

Here though is a copy of the Vic Parks list of seasonal closures and you will find something in your state that is similar i would think

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-manag...road-closures2

Hope that helps. We have had a Drought Breaking rain in Vic and anyone heading anywhere should be making a call to confirm that the gates aren't still shut wherever your heading.

Hope that helps.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Mazodude (11th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudRunnerTD
    Found some info for QLD
    http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and...erts/index.php
    "Gunter" - 1993 Nissan Patrol GQ DX II, 6cyl 4.2L Diesel. 2" Lift EFS suspension. 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ (285/75 R16). Warn Winch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mazodude For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (11th November 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might need to start carrying the master key with you ....large bolt cutters ...just in case.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I was at Mt Disappointment on Saturday and we did phone track and half way down we take of onto another track along a creek. Just about to turn out onto a major track and there is locked gate. Why do they bother have one end of a track open but not the other. Anyway luckily there was enough room to get around beside the gate.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast