Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gu 2.8 hot start issue ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu 2.8 hot start issue ?

My gu has just started having this problem when its cold starts first time no problems but when its warm can take up to 5 goes at starting would i just need to get the new plate and o ring from nissan to fix this also thinking could be glow plugs as they may not have been changed since new i bought the car about 7 yrs ago from the original owners and it had been really well looked after never missed a service and book all stamped from the same dealer
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a common problem on RD28 as the injector pump wears. Fitting the new cover plate should fix the starting issue for a while, it won't reverse the wear in the pump.

Glow plugs will cause difficult cold starting and cost a lot more than the $40 odd cover plate, do the cheap things first.

The cover plate is in a difficult to reach position on the side/bottom of the pump. You are basically working blind when taking it off and putting it back on. Positioning the O-ring is not easy to establish and mistakes are easily made. Use a mirror and a torch to check if the ring is properly positioned before tightening the bolts. Also, I suggest you put a tarp under the car when you work on this as it is easy to drop the ring, bolts, tools or plate when you're working in the blind and just on feel. The tarp will make it easy to find your parts back after you dropped them. (I found this on another forum, I've never worked on an RD28 myself).

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony will be ordering the plate next week so hopefully problem will be fixed ive just done the egr buttrfly valve trick also made up an oil catch can and fitted that up car has become a smoother to drive and seems to blow less smoke
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you blocked the EGR?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeb sure have also have unplugged the front connector on the intercooler for the fan so it runs all the time also looking at putting a 3 inch exhaust on it after christmas

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    yeb sure have also have unplugged the front connector on the intercooler for the fan so it runs all the time also looking at putting a 3 inch exhaust on it after christmas
    You disconnect an emmissions control device and it blows less smoke................Ironic isn't it.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not wrong there car is smoother to drive with these mods done cant say ive noticed any difference with fuel but then again there is a tent mounted uptop which will pretty much stay up there now i and did the fan simply because with a bull bar and spotlights the air flow to the scoop is interupted will eventually hook it up to a switch inside the car i figure better to try keep the air going through as cool as i can

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you block this valve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickhrt View Post
    how do you block this valve

Cheers, the ferret.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For when you replace the plate, use some Vaseline to hold it into position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast