Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dumbie tail lights on a gu

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hekarewe View Post
    i replaced my dummy lights with working lights from www.carsrus.com.au on the sunshine coast cost me including gst and frieght $144.00 approx only issue is when wiring you will need to run a lume from the left side for some of the lights in the right hand unit. left hand unit is plug n play i ran wiring across from the left under the door sil to the right to get everything working on the right once done looks great and very bright

hope this helps
    Those look good. Do the kits come with regular bulbs? Would it possible to adapt them easily to LED?
    2005 GU 3.0L ST
    Cooper tyres, Alloy B'Bar, Safari Snorkel, 3" Exhaust, Rhino Racks, Dual Batt, NADS
    and a very big wishlist in the glove box...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drilled my factory lights to take bulb holders, ran the loom for the reverse light across the rear sill, and tapped the lower lights for power. Total cost as about $50-60 and ~2 hours of drilling and filing to make the bulb holders fit. The bulb holders and wiring is occasionally sold as kit on eBay.

I then fitted all the lights with LEDs to reduce the current draw, otherwise you would need to increase the fuse amperage due to the extra load of the extra incandescent bulbs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by satyx View Post
    Those look good. Do the kits come with regular bulbs? Would it possible to adapt them easily to LED?
    the one i got come complete with wireing and globes dont think they can be converted but anything is possible

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    satyx , mine were not regular type bulbs / globes . they are a '' big size '' wedge type globe . pretty sure from memory the reverse light- left side original is the same . I had not seen this size wedge type globe/s until I changed mine . but so far so good .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine off eBay, $135 delivered to the door. Fitted well and looks like they were meant to be there.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the spelling.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm ....... i might add these to my christmas wish list to Santa....LOL
    2005 GU 3.0L ST
    Cooper tyres, Alloy B'Bar, Safari Snorkel, 3" Exhaust, Rhino Racks, Dual Batt, NADS
    and a very big wishlist in the glove box...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason that patrol and many other makes of car in Oz don't have these working is ADR compliancy. It is deemed by the guys on the big bucks that all lights on the rear of the vehichle must be visable from 45 deg each side of the cars axis. With the spare wheel fitted to the back door the drivers side light is obscured from 30 deg. The ARAB release cars had them working. It is NOT illeagle to fit working replacements. I beleive it is madness not as these are the lights which the guy following you has clear in his field of vission. Big red brake light looking thing, not the lil reflector looking thing in the bumper. I think that even though not really ADR compliant it should still function. The only reason not to do this mod would be if you had twin wheel carrier which would obscure this anyway. Easy mod. Pull em out, buy some push in lamp holders, drill with spade bit to receive the holders, wire up parrallel to other lights. Done. One tip use LED bulbs as they will not increase the current and blow fuses like fillament lamps will.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there. I've purchased after market replacements from Sydney as my covers were cracked. as mentioned in your post, they came with the required wiring, but after fitting them, neither indicators or dash flashers work. I've checked all the globes and connections, but to no avail. Tail, stop lamps and revering lights all work. Any suggestions as to where to go from here (other than an auto electrician)?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ebay replacement lamps have been working for more than 4 years. Basically need to get the wiring correct off the existing lights. Yes, you do need to make a loom to get side to side, but nothing forward of the lights. I love mine
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    My ebay replacement lamps have been working for more than 4 years. Basically need to get the wiring correct off the existing lights. Yes, you do need to make a loom to get side to side, but nothing forward of the lights. I love mine
    Have you been using the old style incandescent bulbs or newer LED style bulbs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12