Thread: mk glow plug problems

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool mk glow plug problems

Hello, Have had problems with glow plug controller unit not working on an Mk, SD33 engine (not turbo)so i have wired plugs straite to a solonide and press switch which i hold on for abot 10 sec. Starts well but in winter smokes a bit on start up. I have found No. 1 and No 3 glow plugs are not working. Does any one no how long plugs should be on for, have any advice on removing and advice on manufactures of glow plug. Are the turbo the same plug as the SD33. All plugs are on the same conection raile so i prosume they are all the same V and should stay on for the same amount of time.
    cheers for any help you Guys can provide. Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robus1 View Post
    Hello, Have had problems with glow plug controller unit not working on an Mk, SD33 engine (not turbo)so i have wired plugs straite to a solonide and press switch which i hold on for abot 10 sec. Starts well but in winter smokes a bit on start up. I have found No. 1 and No 3 glow plugs are not working. Does any one no how long plugs should be on for, have any advice on removing and advice on manufactures of glow plug. Are the turbo the same plug as the SD33. All plugs are on the same conection raile so i prosume they are all the same V and should stay on for the same amount of time.
    cheers for any help you Guys can provide. Rob
    Hi Rob, I have an SD33na in the boat, I have a press button to a relay and hold for 8 or 9 secs, press button is best as you can't forget it's on.
    Mine is 12v, so 12v plugs, your's will be 24v so 24v plugs.
    I get mine from Repco, they are Bosch, and you will get less smoke if they are all working, as the dead ones will be starting from cold, hence the white smoke due to unburn't fuel when cold.
    Last edited by the ferret; 30th October 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use deep single hex socket to remove plugs.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!