Thread: Guten Tag

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Laddie, enjoy mate
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

english lad (23rd October 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guten abend

Welcome the House of Troll..lots of info here. Feel free to ask too..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day
    Welcome Patrol buddy, looking forward to photos from your "home tracks", we love cold places on the forum here, but in my case only in photos.
    Macca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank every body for such a warm welcome,
    the world seems to be getting smaller by the day.
    this truly seems to be the world wild web!
    Who can point me into the right direction in regards to advice on buying a 3.0 02reg Patrol?
    All the best

Quote Originally Posted by english lad View Post
    Hija,
    as you can surely see, I'm new here.
    Stumbled across your forum when I was doing a bit of research on Patrols and was very impressed indeed by the activity and contributions I saw.
    In regards to myself:
    I suppose I'm still a Germ, but been living on the isles for quiet some time (nearly 20 years).
    Happily married to my Cockney bird I've been calling the north coast of Cornwall our home for the last 10 years and we call a little patch in an area known as "Bodmin moor" our own. (think the bank would disagree)
    My trusted old Jeep (Cherokee with a VM diesel) has passed on to the big hunting grounds,
    so I'm now looking for a replacement.
    Been looking for some time at Discos (TD5) but just can't find the right toy to suit my pocket.
    I'm also aware of all the things which go wrong with them (splitting fuel rail in head or oil flooded ECU's for example.
    And there still seems to be the "Landy-premium" which I can't get used to.

I've looked at Amazones and Patrols in the past, but they where to much money then, so I went for the Jeep instead, which has served me well and never let me down. I think I changed the clutch (spigot fell eventually thru) and a tailgate gas strut in ten years. That was it, except a set of Fuldas and some Pads. Not bad I think!

One of my customers has got a Patrol 52reg, that's late 02 / early 03
    He's bought her when she was 2 years old and she's has got 114000 miles on the clock now.
    He's spend a little fortune on her in order to keep her going.
    At about 90000 miles her pistons melted and he fitted a recon engine.
    He's also fitted a new water pump, visco, rad, inter cooler and turbo since then.
    I asked him if he was willing to part with her, and he advised me to stay well clear of any Nissans.
    He's also got a couple of 2.5 pick ups which stuck their conrod out of the side of their blocks.
    Since then he also fitted a new injection pump to one of them.

Having read some of your posts, I wonder whether I could make the Patrol work for me, if I carry out the mods you guys suggest.

She won't have a hard live with me, living on the moors I just need a reliable 4x4 with which I get through the snow in the winter and up and down the steep icy lanes.
    Otherwise I need her to pull my trailer from time to time and to take me, the missus and our dog to the beach or the odd weekend in Wales.
    Not really any hard work.

I'd appreciate if any of you guys could give me some advice on whether I be doing the right thing of buying this Patrol, and what surprises she may have in store for me.

Seeing I've been a diesel mechanic (on the big stuff) in my first live, I've got no problems fixing things.
    The only problem is the wallet!

Best wishes from a freezing cornwall
    english lad

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Mate, and welcome,

I suggest you start a seperate thread with your specific question as the subject, that should flush a few gurus out.

Look forward to seeing some photos of the Moors. Can't all be like the Hounds of the Baskervilles, surely? :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to timbar For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    willkommen

sounds like your friend just had a bad run with his, but normally things melting is because of underfueling, too much air burns too hot= pistons melt used to happen heaps on the 4age motor over 10,000 rpm we ended up putting in a second set of injectors to stop this.... but im rambling

here are some quotes from around the web about the 3.0 2002:

Re: Nissan patrol 3.0l TD vs 4.2

dazza,
    i have a 3.0td. They both have similar power levels but drive very differently. If your doing a lot of towing get the 4.2, its got a great reputation for reliability and will do it easier. 4.2s are hard to find

As for the 3.0td, theres issues on their engine reliability early on ( 2001/2002 with a lot of motors blowing), 2003 onwards Nissan did a fix. On some general 4wd forums, scaremongers reckon its still a timebomb waiting to go off etc but on the specific nissan patrol forum you will get a lot of info/surveys etc....which shows the true picture, ie problem fixed ( considering how many 3.0tds running around now in Navaras/Patrols).

Also mind you there a plenty of 2001/2002 models still running around with high klms now, but like i said your best not to look at those.

Ive driven both, if you do mostly blacktop, some beach and off road then the 3.0td is fine, if your doing a lot of towing id go the 4.2. Both are great trucks. The 3.0td has a bad rep from its early problems and i suppose the jurys out for a few years until some trucks get into the 300/400 klms but can you wait that long?

cheers
    mike
    and another:

FIRSTGU
    Good question! Everyone that doesn't own a 3.0L will tell you to run away quickly. I own vehicle same as the one your looking at and it had no modifications done to it when I got is 6/7 months ago with 0ver 200,000km and it was running beautifuly getting about 11 L to 100km (Highway) There are hunreds of these vehicles on the road that the owners have not been on this site and probably know nothing of the problems that can occour and never will. My brother and Dad both have 3.0L patrols, ones had problems and one hasn't. The one that had problems tows horses, but it is an earlier model. From 2002 on,they seem to be OK. Keep up the servicing, especialy fuel filters and you"ll be right.
    and the part about the fuel filter re-enforces the fueling issue

another on against getting it:

Isha
    Personally, if you are towing, I would say no...dont get it..

We still have ours, probably moreso for emotional and financial reasons and for the fact that we have invested more money into the car than what it will ever give back if we were to sell it - But the longer we have it, the more our confidence is tetering..and our wallet grows thinner when trying to sift through all the maintenence and preventative measures required to keep this engine running...

Find yourself a 6 cylinder vehicle not a 4 cyclinder to do the towing...
    This car has enough weight on its own to battle with - never alone towing a horsefloat!

We tow 3 motorbikes on a somewhat light trailer plus some camping gear and that is about the max we would go over long distance...especially if dealing with hilly countryside..

But as mentioned above, some folk dont have an issue...its definately a gamble..
    I love the car and its looks and its ride, but the 3.0L engine is still problematic even with newer models.... Ours is a Jan '04...

Best of luck!

now these are simply quotes from people i grabbed from google after typing in "problems with the 3.0 patrol 2002"

so i in no way vouch for theyre accuracy.

Good Luck !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Random For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that,
    I'll have another look at the car tomorrow with the missus.
    That might put a stop to it anyway if she doesn't like it. I did show her some photos and she got quiet exited. So let's see. The car's gotta be enjoyable for both of us!
    english lad

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome aboard english lad enjoy your stay

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

english lad (25th October 2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12