Thread: gas injection for td42 diesel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1999 GU TD42 NA
    it had the Diesel Gas setup in it when I brought it in Feb this year
    from what I can gather from reading all over the place.... its not very helpful to a NA engine, but, much better on a Turbo'd engine

I had mine Dyno'd the other day
    while on Diesel only, it was doing 88Kw & 257Nm at the wheels
    on Diesel & gas, it was 92Kw & 273Nm at the wheels

not a vast improvement, but enough to let me know, once I get it Turbo'd, it will be a heck of a lot better

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (2nd June 2011), The Viking (25th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear some intellegent information out there ! but I will stick to my 89MQ with 4.2 petrol engine straight gas engine with all mods to suit LPG. Thanks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure a good system of gas has to be perfect!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may add my 2 cents to this to this topic.

My background with diesel/LPG goes back to 1999 when we were looking at avenues to get more power and driveability out of the 4 cylinder n/a Hilux. We supercharged one, turbocharged one, and we put lpg on one. The supercharger created too much vibration on the poor little diesel. The turbocharger obviously worked well with an approx 25% increase in HP and Torque (same as what you get with the average Safari turbo kits). Adding a small amount of LPG to the air fuel mixture had amazing results, 30% increase in HP and Torque and it was the only way to get the Hilux to redline in 5th gear.

Diesel/LPG is nothing new, Mr Henry Ford (from the research we did) did the first commercially available system in the 1920's, called a "torque topper". If a truck came to a hill that he'd normally have to start dropping gears to get over, he'd flick a switch that would turn on the LPG, then turn it off again once over the crest.

Too much LPG is bad and causes detonation, so we did alot of dyno testing to get the right blend, and that blend is different for every vehicle. All you are trying to do with the LPG is aid the combustion of the diesel, getting the right mix takes your engine that has approx 75% efficiency upto to approx 98% efficiency, with a 60% reduction in heavy particulate diesel emmissions.

There are many ways to do the conversion, you can soley add LPG, you can rack back the diesel manually and add LPG, or incorporate a solenoid that racks back the diesel while LPG is being used. Each way has its pro's and con's.

The best increase in power I ever got was 100HP on a 6cyl MAN diesel that we did for Western Power.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Evolution For This Useful Post:

claw45 (11th September 2011), in4m3 (5th June 2017), rockndot (16th January 2012), The Viking (25th November 2013), YNOT (31st August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another note, if you have a GU Ute and are looking at putting it on diesel/lpg, you can raise the tray approx 20mm (depending on the brand) and install an XF Falcon APA brand G84 manifold tank between the spare wheel carrier assembly and the tray. Manufacturing the brackets is a bit tricky, but it makes for a neat conversion.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of control systems were you using to control the gas flow?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did all my conversion with modified off-the-shelf IMPCO mixers and converters, and built my own electrical control systems.

It was the best fail safe way to prevent over fueling of lpg.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does keeping the standard diesel delivery and adding a small amount of LPG compare to winding back the diesel and adding more LPG?

Tony

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    There would be no benefit to fitting diesel gas to a common rail engine, with the LPG technology currently available.The automotive LPG industry lags behind petrol and diesel fuel system technology by a few years. For that reason, Peter does not fit or recommend fitting diesel gas to late model (about 2008 onwards) diesels with common rail fuel systems.
    I would like to examine this statement a little more. Whilst the CRD engines can benefit from 3rd part chips and the likes, if what has been stated previously in that the injection of LPG creates efficiencies of 90 - 95% compared to the 80% of normal diesel combustion, whould not CRD engines still benefit from LPG injection or am I missing something in the rationale here?

Regards

Graham

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRD's would still benefit from LPG but the gains will be less because the diesel burn in CRD engines is better than in older diesels.
    Common rail diesels are more efficient partly due to their better fuel atomisation created by the extremely high injection pressure, more efficient 4 valve heads (in most cases) but also due to their multi shot injection. A CRD injector can fire up to 7 times per power stroke, an initial pilot injection followed by multiple main injections, this allows a much more efficient burn (and better torque) than was ever possible in older diesels.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 2nd September 2011 at 05:13 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

rainsey (1st September 2011)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast