Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-88 mq 2.8td 4wd-problems

Hello.

First of all i want to say that i live in Sweden so i am sorry if my english isn't the best and that i might not really understand the technical language here so you must be patient with me. There aren't really any good forums here to ask questions and patrols aren't very common so i need to look abroad to get help i think.

Anyway, i have a -88 mq shorty that lost it's 4wd last week. Or it's not completley gone but there seems to be something "jumping over" somewhere in the front differential or front axel, especially when i'm turning, it makes quite a loud banging noice and you can feel it twitch.

I thought it might have been the free running hubs (is that the word?) but they were ok and the problem must be deeper in the drivetrain somewhere.

Any suggestions what it might be? I have limited access to a workshop so it would be nice to have some kind of idea what to expect when i start pulling things apart.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, don't forget to put an introduction about yourself in the introductions section.

In regards to your problem....Have a read below, this should help you...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...cking-properly

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankts for pointing me to the right thread, i was pretty sure there had to be an existing thread but i guess the language issue stopped me from using the right keywords in my search. i'll post there instead. it didn't quite help me atm, but that guys problems are almost similar to mine.

I'll try to remember writing that introduction.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon your transfer case is broken

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think it is the transfer. The sound sounds in front of it. i would rather suspect the diff.. Oh please dear god don't let it be the transfer!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clunking sound in front end in 4wd is CVs
    Try it in 2wd , turn sharp left or right and listen IF theres no sound in 2wd, but in 4wd,its CVs

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't hear anything in 2wd but sincre my free running hubs are welded stiff and allways engaged, wouldn't that spin the axel in 2wd aswell and i should get the clunking? But then again i haven't really tried provoking it in 2wd since i tried making the hubs stiff so it might be the CVs like you say.

When i first noticed this i was trying to climb out of a big mudhole and you could see the wheel like loading upp and then snapping back a cm or so. This got worse while we were trying to get the car out but you never hear it on a straight clear road, it's only when i'm turning or when i put some load om the axel.

The more i think of it it really feels like the CV. That would explain why i coild clearly see the wheel snappin back, if it was the diff it wouldn't have been that obvious i guess?