Thread: Strengthen 5 speed Automatic off a TB48DE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strengthen 5 speed Automatic off a TB48DE

Hi all

Has anyone had there 5 speed Auto from a 4.8L Patrol Strengthened and have any details on what needs to be done

I called Wholesale Automatics (Melbourne) and the sales guy told me only the Valve body needs to be upgraded, Suggested a convertor lock up kit and a Transmission Temperature Guage Installed

I was in the Thought that other parts would be needed to be upgraded in the Transmission also when fitting a Turbo as In my reading on the forums the Auto is the weakest link

Any advice would be greatly Appreciated

Cheers
    Brad
    2002 NISSAN PATROL TB48DE 5 SPEED AUTO
    Looking at getting it Supercharged

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry don't have that auto gearbox, but have dealt with wholesale in the past month while doing a rebuild on my auto.

If you told them what yo were doing and that's all they said you needed then go for it, I would also recommend the temp gauge and convertor lock up kit as well.

Did you speak 2 Rodney the owner or just a sales guy?
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Brads4wdmad (15th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a link you might like 2 read, how much money do you have 2 spend!

http://www.par-engineering.com/secti...n&sectionId=14

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Brads4wdmad (15th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou very much for the Info mate
    Really Appreciate it

I spoke to Ashleigh so Im assuming it is a sales guy I was speaking to and he Quoted me drive in drive out $2255 for the Upgraded Valve Body, Lock up kit and the Temp gauge all fitted which I thought was good value hence why I was thinking more had to be done

I found this link also, http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=26865 and seems what he told me is all I have to do at this time to Strengthen the transmission before having the ASE Turbo Installed

Cheers mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brad,

Generally improving line pressure and clutch clamping pressures through valve body modifications will add strength to the transmission, but there are other mods that we use to do for drag racing like fitting more clutches to the clutch packs and better clutch and band material. Also, a few alloy parts can be replaced with steel, like spool retainers etc.

Every different transmission usually has unique mods to improve or gain ultimate strength, for instance I use to build GM TH700R4 transmissions for use in big block Chevys and one common mod was to replace the 5 4th gear clutches with 9 clutches and remove all the wave washers in the clutch packs. Other mods like replacing srags with ones that have more elements than the originals if they are available.

I would get onto some of the better known USA transmission parts manufacturers like B&M, TransGo, Fairbanks etc and see what heavy duty parts they sell for the RE5 Jatco boxes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Ade (15th October 2011), Brads4wdmad (15th October 2011), MudRunnerTD (15th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi Brad,

Generally improving line pressure and clutch clamping pressures through valve body modifications will add strength to the transmission, but there are other mods that we use to do for drag racing like fitting more clutches to the clutch packs and better clutch and band material. Also, a few alloy parts can be replaced with steel, like spool retainers etc.

Every different transmission usually has unique mods to improve or gain ultimate strength, for instance I use to build GM TH700R4 transmissions for use in big block Chevys and one common mod was to replace the 5 4th gear clutches with 9 clutches and remove all the wave washers in the clutch packs. Other mods like replacing srags with ones that have more elements than the originals if they are available.

I would get onto some of the better known USA transmission parts manufacturers like B&M, TransGo, Fairbanks etc and see what heavy duty parts they sell for the RE5 Jatco boxes.

Thanks for the Info there Chaz

So is the RE5 Jatco Box the TB48DE 5 speed auto Box?

My main concern is trying to protect the Transmission from Damage as by reading posts and info posted onto the Net seems to suggest the Auto Transmissions (5 Speed) are there weak point, and I have been Quoted so far just under $15000 for the ASE Turbo fully installed with 3 inch exhaust, 6 x 550cc Injectors and connectors, Halteck computer, wire computer and Tune and all labour and If I do go ahead with this I want to protect the Transmission as best as can be done......Without the Transmission ASE said they can do 240kw rear wheels safely with Transmission done they would set up to 300kw rear wheels with no engine Mods been done

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brads4wdmad View Post
    Thanks for the Info there Chaz

So is the RE5 Jatco Box the TB48DE 5 speed auto Box?

My main concern is trying to protect the Transmission from Damage as by reading posts and info posted onto the Net seems to suggest the Auto Transmissions (5 Speed) are there weak point, and I have been Quoted so far just under $15000 for the ASE Turbo fully installed with 3 inch exhaust, 6 x 550cc Injectors and connectors, Halteck computer, wire computer and Tune and all labour and If I do go ahead with this I want to protect the Transmission as best as can be done......Without the Transmission ASE said they can do 240kw rear wheels safely with Transmission done they would set up to 300kw rear wheels with no engine Mods been done
    Brad,

The TB48 uses the Jatco RE5R05A transmission. This transmission is also used in US sold Armada and Titan vehicles along with the V8 Infinity, so I would expect that there would be some pushing big power figures. Perhaps some of the UAE shops would have some details on heavy duty mods for them, but Wholesale Auto’s would be the first to try, being local.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Brads4wdmad (15th October 2011), MudRunnerTD (15th October 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very High Quality Info from you Chaz, nice work mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Chaz (15th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Thanks mate. I probably shouldn't comment on the 5 speed nissan boxes because I've had nothing to do with them. I did a lot of auto trans work in the 80's and 90's with respect to drag racing, but they were all hydraulicly controlled transmissions, not the electronic units. Apart from that, most of the principals are similar, so I hope it helps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    X 2, thanks Chaz

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Chaz (15th October 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast