OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Auto electrician will touch it.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snicko View Post
    I just hope I can live up to the good advice. You can electrocute yourself on 12v can you?? hahahahahahahahha
    nah but can give you a jolt

hope all go`s well for you`s and get it sorted
    HELL NO !!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nowoolies For This Useful Post:

snicko (15th October 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snicko View Post
    When we did the Innamincka trip we did have the car air borne once and the camper air borne twice!!! hahahahahaha
    Needs wings and a prop and some landing gear then eh??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snicko, I'm an electrician and have done a bit of this wiring on my own gear.
    The advice is good what is above, please be really carefull of 240volt in your system. I assume you have an inverter 12vdc to 240vac.
    And there is an inlet plug, that one is easy - make sure the lead is not plugged in.
    As for the inverter
    If it has a power point socket on the outside - unplug the lead. Then disconnect all 12vdc from it and make safe.
    That 240volt stuff is leathal and you can not see it, so be very carefull when de-wiring components.
    Allway check twice!!!
    Good luck with it
    Macca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Snicko, I'm an electrician and have done a bit of this wiring on my own gear.
    The advice is good what is above, please be really carefull of 240volt in your system. I assume you have an inverter 12vdc to 240vac.
    And there is an inlet plug, that one is easy - make sure the lead is not plugged in.
    As for the inverter
    If it has a power point socket on the outside - unplug the lead. Then disconnect all 12vdc from it and make safe.
    That 240volt stuff is leathal and you can not see it, so be very carefull when de-wiring components.
    Allway check twice!!!
    Good luck with it
    Macca
    Thanks Macca
    Thats the problem I have. I'm not sure really what I have and have not yet found someone (other than forum members who live a long way away) who will put their hand up to help.

A road trip to Vic might be on the cards if it gets beyond me.
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Snicko,

There is some great advice above mate. Wiring is all about tracing what is there, it will get a little messy while you trace it all but you will sort it out. Hopefully he has used appropriate colours for the wiring.

There will not be that much there really though and once the conduit is ripped off it will start to become clearer.

Just remember, your probably never going to plug into that external socket again for your 240v. if that is not plugged in and you disconnect your battery in the system then your as safe as houses to do whet needs to be done. It sounds like your committed to making that system obsolete so just rip it out. The CTek will replace most of it so rip it out and start again with a product designed to do the job you are looking for (CTek)

It should be really easy to separate the 240v wiring system from the 12v wiring system once it is stripped of the conduit and you will be fine mate.

If in doubt, take more photos of it once the conduit covers are off at the points that you are not clear about and guys here will steer you straight, They have so far

Good luck mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi Snicko,

There is some great advice above mate. Wiring is all about tracing what is there, it will get a little messy while you trace it all but you will sort it out. Hopefully he has used appropriate colours for the wiring.

There will not be that much there really though and once the conduit is ripped off it will start to become clearer.

Just remember, your probably never going to plug into that external socket again for your 240v. if that is not plugged in and you disconnect your battery in the system then your as safe as houses to do whet needs to be done. It sounds like your committed to making that system obsolete so just rip it out. The CTek will replace most of it so rip it out and start again with a product designed to do the job you are looking for (CTek)

It should be really easy to separate the 240v wiring system from the 12v wiring system once it is stripped of the conduit and you will be fine mate.

If in doubt, take more photos of it once the conduit covers are off at the points that you are not clear about and guys here will steer you straight, They have so far

Good luck mate.
    Thanks MudrunnerTD

I did think of pulling all the conduit off and taking more pics and posting them as people here know what they are talking about.

Now I will do it and report on all the fuses too (if any are blown)
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at the pic's my guess's are as follows -

Top two Pics -
    Silver Jiffy Box with "red charger blue battery" possibly hides a DC Automatic C/B or Circuit Protection in the battery supply cable? (Retain or replace with a new item, they are pretty cheap and connect to CTEK 12 volts if so)
    Red cable with the inline fuse holder to the Battery is probably the Anderson Plug Feed is it? (Retain or Replace fuse with DC Auto C/B and connect to Battery + if so)
    The black items on the rear wall look like circuit protection for the House 12 Volt outlets but hard to tell (retain and connect to CTEK 12 Volts if so)

Middle piccy (looking down)
    Domestic 240 Volt C/B poked in behind (not required with CTEK)
    Spaghetti junction of wiring

2nd from Bottom picture -
    Switch box with one switch for battery and one for House (not required with CTEK)
    240 Volt to 12 Volt DC Power Supply def not ideal for your application (replace with CTEK)

Bottom picture -
    Weatherproof Caravan Power In and Outlet 240V points. These are fine to keep even if just to seal the holes.
    DC Voltmeter
    Fuse or telltale lamp (bit hard to pick)
    12 Volt Merit Plug and switch
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might add that apart from the messy wiring and poor choice of Power Supply it looks like a well thought out install esp as far as protection etc is concerned.

If you simply trace back the 12 Volt wire for the Voltmeter and Merit Plug stuff on the side I would keep that exactly as is... and connect to Battery +

Ditto for the wiring and Circuit protection for the Camper... connect to battery +

The Anderson feed from the Car should be logical to sort out as well.

Anyway, if absolute worst case and the mob on here can't sort it out then an Auto Sparky should be happy to do the tidy up IF that 240 Volt piece of gear is GONE and all you have or need him to do is 12Volts stuff.
    Then all you need to do is connect the CTEK lead to the Battery and plug teh CTEK in if you have 240 Volts available
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some more pics and left them bigger so the wires can be seen better.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are going to go down the path of removing the 240 volt wiring, I would start by disconnecting it at the 240 volt in plug first. From there it looks like it runs down to the 240 volt circuit breaker then up to the 240 volt outlet plug and also from the 240 volt circuit breaker it runs across to your 240 volt AC to 12 volt DC unit (conduit with the red, black and yellow/green wires) all this can be removed.

The other 2 wires at the 240 volt AC to 12 volt DC unit (red and black wires) top 2 in photo 1, is where you should be able to connect your new battery charger/power supply to, just make sure they are the 12 volt positive and 12 volt negative (it looks like they are by the photo but it is a bit hard to read).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast