OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No Auto electrician will touch it.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    If you are going to go down the path of removing the 240 volt wiring, I would start by disconnecting it at the 240 volt in plug first. From there it looks like it runs down to the 240 volt circuit breaker then up to the 240 volt outlet plug and also from the 240 volt circuit breaker it runs across to your 240 volt AC to 12 volt DC unit (conduit with the red, black and yellow/green wires) all this can be removed.

The other 2 wires at the 240 volt AC to 12 volt DC unit (red and black wires) top 2 in photo 1, is where you should be able to connect your new battery charger/power supply to, just make sure they are the 12 volt positive and 12 volt negative (it looks like they are by the photo but it is a bit hard to read).

Thanks Yendor

Is this the pic you need?

GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh yes... mucho better.

I agree with Rodney

Remove the Red and Black at the Power Supply and connect the CTEK and that should be the 12 Volts sorted. Those small black doohickies are autoresetting C/B's I reckon so keep them unless they are faulty.
    At the RCD you can either ...
    disconnect and remove the 240 V Cable and the Power Supply and retain the use of the weatherproof 240 Volt Inlet and outlet (leave the RCd in if you do that.
    OR
    remove the 240 volt cables and RCD and leave the sockets to cover the holes or knock up some cover plates or you can purchase dummy wall plates from Bunnings or Eleccy outlets.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

snicko (15th October 2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes you can connect it to the red and black wires marked as +V and -V (These wires should run to you battery via a fuse).

All the 12 volt wiring I can see in the photo looks fine, so as long as everything in your camper still works I would leave it as is.

I would also recommend that you disconnect the battery first before disconnecting any wires.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I have ordered the battery charger (can't get one locally) and when it comes I will study what everyone has said and hopefully have success in fitting it!!

I'm sure there will be questions along the way so stay tuned!! hahahaha
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snicko View Post
    Thanks guys. I have ordered the battery charger (can't get one locally) and when it comes I will study what everyone has said and hopefully have success in fitting it!!

I'm sure there will be questions along the way so stay tuned!! hahahaha
    As long as your fuses and circuit breakers are ok I don't think you will have any problems.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with big_fletch!
    I would junk the lot of it and start again, easy for me to say as im good with electrical but i take my time to get it right.
    I would rewire all the 12V accesories to the battery, hook the anderson plug directly to the battery and the wire in a a Ctek like big-fletch said so ya can plug a extension cord into it at home or at a caravan park or to a genny to charge the battery.
    Wouldnt be hard but it would take some time to do to make it all look good and make it easy to troubleshoot if ya ever had future probs.

Steve.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to -ET 4wd- For This Useful Post:

snicko (17th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a 30A fuse in the Powertech?
    Im sure it is if its green! thats what my fans use on my LS-1 so im used to lookin at them!!
    Where it says V ADJ.....maybe it cooked the inside of it cause the fuse is to big??
    Just a thought

Steve.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to -ET 4wd- For This Useful Post:

snicko (17th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    Oh ok then, so all the 240 did was charge the battery? There are a few ways around it, at work i would rewire the 12v side completly from lights to Anderson plugs.. With the 240v, you could just mount a 240v Charger and plug an Extension lead in from your powered site.. I have done this several times for customers and makes the system very simple.. This also keeps the 240 and 12v system seperate so if the 240 fails the 12v will still work through the anderson Plug and off the battery.. We install the Ctek chargers normally as have never had a problem with them and they will charge any type of battery
    http://www.ctekbatterychargers.com.a...-xs-15000.html
    X2 with Patch, If your ever around my way i would also be happy to have a look and work something out for you

Fletcha
    i concure with you mate i have done the same ,wired up trailer for 12 volt and hard wire 240volt charger and inverter"the same type as a home base cb sytem,so that while in camp site that is powered it chargess the 12 volt and / or switch over so inverter can run 12 volt sytem.but ive used a caravan repairer aswell to wire up trailer so 240 can be used aswell for appliances.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234