OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Auto electrician will touch it.....

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Auto electrician will touch it.....

We have a setup in our camper that has 240V and 12V and with all the vibration of corrugated roads the box " thingy" has stoped working and an auto electrician wont touch it because it has 240V.

We went to a sparky and he wasn't interested either.

Originally "a mate" did it and he is long gone (thank goodness as everything he did for us now doesn't work!!)

At the moment the only way we can charge the battery is with a battery charger at home.
    (The Anderson plug from the car dosen't work either.)

Is there something off the shelf that can be fitted that when it sh!ts it's self we can just replace it??

LOOKING DIRECTLY DOWN

GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto-Sparkys are not allowed to touch anything 240v as we are not qualified to work with it.. Do you know what the system was originally designed to do? Charge the bat from the car and 240v ect?
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big_fletch For This Useful Post:

snicko (14th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    Auto-Sparkys are not allowed to touch anything 240v as we are not qualified to work with it.. Do you know what the system was originally designed to do? Charge the bat from the car and 240v ect?
    The system was suppose to run the 12v lights (which it still does) and if we wanted to go into a caravan park with a powered site hook up to 240v to charge the battery.
    The Anderson plug from the car is suppose to charge the battery as well.

NOW all that works it 12v lights if we charge the battey at home!!
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snicko View Post
    The system was suppose to run the 12v lights (which it still does) and if we wanted to go into a caravan park with a powered site hook up to 240v to charge the battery.
    The Anderson plug from the car is suppose to charge the battery as well.

NOW all that works it 12v lights if we charge the battey at home!!
    Oh ok then, so all the 240 did was charge the battery? There are a few ways around it, at work i would rewire the 12v side completly from lights to Anderson plugs.. With the 240v, you could just mount a 240v Charger and plug an Extension lead in from your powered site.. I have done this several times for customers and makes the system very simple.. This also keeps the 240 and 12v system seperate so if the 240 fails the 12v will still work through the anderson Plug and off the battery.. We install the Ctek chargers normally as have never had a problem with them and they will charge any type of battery
    http://www.ctekbatterychargers.com.a...-xs-15000.html
    X2 with Patch, If your ever around my way i would also be happy to have a look and work something out for you

Fletcha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

6. The Following User Says Thank You to big_fletch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    Oh ok then, so all the 240 did was charge the battery? There are a few ways around it, at work i would rewire the 12v side completly from lights to Anderson plugs.. With the 240v, you could just mount a 240v Charger and plug an Extension lead in from your powered site.. I have done this several times for customers and makes the system very simple.. This also keeps the 240 and 12v system seperate so if the 240 fails the 12v will still work through the anderson Plug and off the battery.. We install the Ctek chargers normally as have never had a problem with them and they will charge any type of battery
    http://www.ctekbatterychargers.com.a...-xs-15000.html
    X2 with Patch, If your ever around my way i would also be happy to have a look and work something out for you

Fletcha
    i concure with you mate i have done the same ,wired up trailer for 12 volt and hard wire 240volt charger and inverter"the same type as a home base cb sytem,so that while in camp site that is powered it chargess the 12 volt and / or switch over so inverter can run 12 volt sytem.but ive used a caravan repairer aswell to wire up trailer so 240 can be used aswell for appliances.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My god...... What a bloody mess.

If you feel like towing it out here I'd re-do it all for ya with a damn site more care than the last one did.

I build custom stuff for 4x4's & farm equipment all the time & my work sticks.

Out side of that, get in touch with a camper builder & as they would more than likely have it all bolt in & therefor replaceable

9. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    My god...... What a bloody mess.

If you feel like towing it out here I'd re-do it all for ya with a damn site more care than the last one did.

I build custom stuff for 4x4's & farm equipment all the time & my work sticks.

Out side of that, get in touch with a camper builder & as they would more than likely have it all bolt in & therefor replaceable
    Thanks Patch
    I had thought of a camper builder but there is no one local that I can ask and as you can see I need someone to work through the spagetti and no one wants to put their hand up.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nite mare in that needs unravelling

sorry for ya snicko

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a lot of fun. S N I C K O not wishbi could put my hand up but ur a bit far away sorry

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to timbar For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It looks like the 240 volt circuit breaker (shown in your photo "looking directly down" ) may have tripped.

Also the 240 volt charging unit should have a fuse in it, you could try checking this.

My father had to change his (240 volt charger), in his motor home about 2 years ago. He was told by the company that he bought it from, that it was fairly common for the cheaper units to fail due to power surges in caravan parks.

With the 12 volt side if your anderson plug on your vehicle is working, then it can only be a bad connection in the 12 volt wiring in the trailer or a blown fuse.

I would start by checking all fuses, I can see two inline fuse holder in your second photo and what looks like a 12 volt circuit breaker

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Yendor; 14th October 2011 at 10:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast