Thread: Lokka Differntial?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lokka Differntial?

Can someone please explain how it works? Is it suitable for road use on twisties (mountain passes ect) are they safe? Thaks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29 has some info but i'm not smart enough to understand it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lokka works like most auto locking diffs. Unlike an air locker or spool, it still allows one wheel to turn faster than the other, but rather than drive the wheel with the least resistance, it drives the one with the most resistance. So in other words, it still allows differential action, but will drive the wheel that’s on the ground rather than spin the one that’s in the air.

With both wheels on the ground it will try to drive them evenly until one looses traction. When differential action is necessary, they cam over which can generate some clicking noise, but that’s normal. They tend to be more difficult to unlock when higher torque is applied to the drive shaft, so usually a change of driving habits is necessary otherwise the steering can get heavy with one fitted to the front.

Personally I think they are safe, but I wouldn’t fit one in the rear. I’d prefer a good LSD in the rear, but auto lockers are an excellent choice for the front with manual hubs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (12th October 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great reply Chaz. Very clear. If I were to fit one to the front Diff, and have manual hubs, if 4WD isnt engage it will it drive like normal?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoty_4 View Post
    Thanks for the great reply Chaz. Very clear. If I were to fit one to the front Diff, and have manual hubs, if 4WD isnt engage it will it drive like normal?
    spoty_4,

Yes, in 2WD you wouldn’t know that you had one fitted unless the hubs were locked and you would then hear a light clicking sound when cornering. The steering will become a little heavier when in 4WD, but otherwise they can be almost undetectable.

It’s better to use manual hubs with them because they can make it difficult for auto hubs to release. I still lock my manual hubs when off road so that I can easily go into 4WD at any time and any speed, just like a you would with a standard diff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

spoty_4 (12th October 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chaz. With your ability to explain things so clearly you should become a teacher.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoty_4 View Post
    Thanks Chaz. With your ability to explain things so clearly you should become a teacher.
    Haha, that’s a good one. I tend to over explain because it doesn’t always make sense to me……lol
    I'm glad it's easy enough to understand.
    Cheers,