Thread: Innamincka Trip Sept 23 to Oct 3 2011

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Innamincka Trip Sept 23 to Oct 3 2011

We left home on Friday 23 and camped the first night at Warrens Gorge just out side of Quorn SA.
    A beautiful place and I took lots of pics. (We have camped there several times now.)

Waking up in the camper trailer Sat morning......we are on holidays!! WOO HOO!!

Lunch in Hawker, up to Lyndhurst for fuel then onto the Strzelecki Track.
    Camped on the banks of a dry creek. Now we are in the outback - love it.

Up early to get the most into the day. Travelled about a hour then came across an Owl sitting in the middle of the road. I got out to take a pic and found it was injured. Poor thing had two busted legs and a broken wing. I could not leave it there to get run over so I picked it up and took it with us. Hubby named it "Hooter".

Lunch at Innamincka with more fuel. (The truck was really going through it!)
    Little Hooter was still with us. I really didn't think he would last the day.

We then travelled 180km above Innamincka into Qld to a station and camped on the Coopers for two nights. So relaxing with so much wild life (Lots more pics!!)

Tues back to Innamincka (more fuel) then onto Camerons Corner. Now that was fun!! The closer we got to Camerons Corner the worse the weather got. The sky went really dark with lots of lightening strikes and very windy. Started to spit rain about 20 kms out. I can see why they shut the roads when it rains as just a few drops makes the roads treturous let alone a down pour!! Had several places where it was really slippery but we got through just in time.

At about 10pm the wind picked up and I thought the canvas was going to be ripped off the trailer!! Never been in the camper in such windy conditions. (I'm a girl so I can say it was a bit scary!!) During the night I swear the thunder was just above our camper as it was so LOUD.

Wind, rain, lightening and thunder!! all the weather campers need!! hahahaha

Next morning on the way to Arkaroola we went through lots of burnt scrub as the lightening strikes has started lots of fires. We could see smoke all around us and smouldering scrub.

Stayed in Arkaroola for two nights. Went on several of the 4WD tracks on offer. That was really good. We still had Hooter with us and he was eating and sooo cute.

The next day was my birthday which we spent in Parachilina Gorge in the rain!!

Saturday we stayed in the Wirrabarra Forest and drove the bridle track then back through Aligator Gorge.

Stayed in Pt Pirie Sunday night and drove home on Monday. Rang the RSPCA in Whyalla as we still had Hooter (now 8 days) and they gave me a number of a wildlife rescue carer who took Hooter.

Did 3228 km for the trip.

Sadly on Tuesday night I got a message to say that they thought little Hooter was in pain and as they couldn't do anything for his legs or wing they had him put down....

WARRENS GORGE

CAMPING ON THE BANKS OF THE DRY CREEK

HOOTER

MOOMBA
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snicko For This Useful Post:

belzi82 (6th October 2011), FNQGU (9th July 2014), GUtsy ute (5th October 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (5th October 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey, these pics are very cool...thanks .
    I'm going to read all the story shortly but what is the HOOTER

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

snicko (5th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooter is a cute little barn owl
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOTS OF NOTHING

LOTS OF DUST

TRAFFIC

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snicko For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (5th October 2011), GUtsy ute (5th October 2011), Plasnart (5th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DINGO ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

INNAMINCKA

IN LINE UP FOR FUEL

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snicko For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (9th July 2014), GUtsy ute (5th October 2011), Plasnart (5th October 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellant piccies Snicko and happy birthday!!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ON THE STATION ON THE COOPERS

Last edited by snicko; 21st October 2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add pics

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snicko For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (5th October 2011), GUtsy ute (5th October 2011), Plasnart (5th October 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HOOTER THE CUTE LITTLE BARN OWL

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snicko For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (5th October 2011), Maarten (6th October 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up and pics thanks Sniko, And a HaPpy BuRf-DaY 2 yOu
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Beautiful work sniko. Shame about hooter's fate though. I hate hitting native wildlife.
    I was upset on the Tuesday night. Little Hooter was part of us on our trip.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast