Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rim Offset - How to measure it and get it right

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm? Sorry not sure Rod, it'd be disappointing if you specifically wanted net 13 and they bolted up zero offset. In reality though now tha they are on the car do they sit how you want them to sit?

I went 16x8 in a neg6 and am very happy there but would go a neg 13 if I ever did it again probably,

Don't be lazy check your spare or get a tyre rotation done and ask them to slip the tyre calipers over the rim while it's off the car.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hmmm? Sorry not sure Rod, it'd be disappointing if you specifically wanted net 13 and they bolted up zero offset. In reality though now tha they are on the car do they sit how you want them to sit?

I went 16x8 in a neg6 and am very happy there but would go a neg 13 if I ever did it again probably,

Don't be lazy check your spare or get a tyre rotation done and ask them to slip the tyre calipers over the rim while it's off the car.
    Rod's rims look great ... and yes ... he is lazy coz I've been asking him to wire up some lights for me for ages and he hasn't done it yet!

Oh, by the way ... Rod, I forgot to ask ... could you perhaps spare me some time and wire up some lights for me?? lmfao!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I purchased them second hand and the guy that was selling them wasn't sure so he had them checked and came back with the neg13 offset.

I only have 4 rims so I am trying to find one for the spare. I contacted the original supplier/importer about purchasing a rim and they are now discontinued and she was adamant that they were only available in a zero offset.

I am very happy with how the wheels sits on the vehicle. My concern is if I need to use the spare wheel and it has a different offset what problems would this cause? I'm guessing that wheel will have a different track?

Now, I believe the standard alloys are a zero offset?? so if my alloys are also a zero offset all I need to do is get the correct size tyre and fit it to my standard alloy and this will do for a spare?

But if they are a neg13 offset I will need to purchase a neg13 offset wheel, or do I?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Rod's rims look great ... and yes ... he is lazy coz I've been asking him to wire up some lights for me for ages and he hasn't done it yet!

Oh, by the way ... Rod, I forgot to ask ... could you perhaps spare me some time and wire up some lights for me?? lmfao!!
    No worries.

I just had a look at my calendar for the next 3 weeks and it's a bit full. Mansifield tavern, move Scotty, WooHoo boys weekend away.

I'm guessing you need/want it done before then. Looks like I will just have to chuck a sickie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Standard Wheels are Positive 10 offset. Maybe he did not take into consideration the thickness of the centre plate? the measurements should be taken from the Seat of the centre plate where it touches the hub.

If the centre of the wheel is 6mm thick then that will put the offset measurement out by 12mm and he might have thought it was a neg 13??

running a different offset on 1 wheel will have Zero effect on the car but will certainly put the track out slightly on 1 wheel. No real drama Rod.

Cheers

p.s.Tell Scotty to google how to wire up lights Google will probably send him back here to one of your useful threads
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (23rd June 2012), Yendor (23rd June 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, I might as well save the coin and use my standard alloy as the spare then.

Scotty will be doing all the work, I will be just watching and drinking his beer.....lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd June 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered this in a thread and thought i would put it here for all to view, hope it helps.

Firstly this is a Nissan Patrol Forum so note that the standard offset on a Nissan Patrol is +10 or positive 10.

Your offset choice will determine where the wheel sits in your wheel arch and whether it stick out of your guards at all.

On a Nissan Patrol it is very common to increase the offset into the Negative to bring the wheels further out to the edge of your wheel arches to give a wider track and stop bigger tyres from scrubbing on the inner guard.

OK so to get the right measurement you are really going to need a rim off the car or your spare off the door if it is the same. You need to measure the back space of the rim centre to figure out the offset. Offset equals how much the centre of the rim is away from the middle of the rim...

from the diagram below you can see how important it is to know the exact width of your rim. stop into a tyre joint and they will throw a calliper on it for you if you have time or you can figure that out.

Once you have the width of the rim then you halve it to determine the centre of the rim. Offset is how far from the centre of the rim is the centre mounting plate.

OK. You need to lay something across the back side of the rim outer edge of the bead to outer edge of the bead. Then measure the distance from that line to the back of the centre plate of the hub to determine where it is in relation to the rolling rim.

on an 8 inch rim i think they are 200mm wide (you should measure to make sure as every rim is different). zero offset would measure 100mm. Negative 22 offset (considered Toyota offset by most) would measure 78mm to the back plate. Standard Nissan offset of +10 would measure 110mm to the back plate.

^^^^ Now that is a pic of an Alloy Mag wheel. the front of the rim is to the left of the pic and the back is to the right.

or we can get a little technical

Measuring Wheel Offset

To calculate offset you'll need the following measurements:

Wheel backspace
    Wheel Width
    Wheel Center line (outboard flange to inboard flange measurement / 2)
    Subtract:

Wheel center line from Wheel backspace to get offset.
    If backspace is less than the wheel centerline the offset is negative
    If backspace is greater than the wheel centerline the offset is positive
    Tip:

To convert from inches to mm multiply by 25.4
    To convert from mm to inches divide by 25.4

An that is that.. Hope that helps you.

Cheers MR
    So all models of Patrol have a standard offset of +10 or positive 10? So I could fit some sunraysias 31x8x15 that came off a GQ and they will fit fine to my MQ? Is the hub size the same?
    Thanks
    Last edited by MQ4EVA; 9th December 2014 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ4EVA View Post
    So all models of Patrol have a standard offset of +10 or positive 10? So I could fit some sunraysias 31x8x15 that came off a GQ and they will fit fine to my MQ? Is the hub size the same? Thanks
    No. Not necessarily so. My GQ was factory fitted with -13 offset 15x7 inch wheels as it was fitted with the "wide wheel pack" flares.....as many later models were.
    There would be another offset for a GQ for the model that had cheesecutters and no flares. I don't know what that is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ4EVA View Post
    So all models of Patrol have a standard offset of +10 or positive 10? So I could fit some sunraysias 31x8x15 that came off a GQ and they will fit fine to my MQ? Is the hub size the same?
    Thanks
    I haven't owned or seen any Patrol Rims with +10. Only factory ones I have seen are either 0 or -13 depending on wheel pack or GQ/GU.
    Not sayin +10 isn't out there just sayin' I haven't ever had any.
    I definitely wouldn't call +10 as a "standard offset" depending on how you interpret the term.
    Is +10 the offset for skinnies maybe?

I use -22 offset rims for any tyre 305, 315 or 12 1/2 width.
    Any wider and it starts to load up the hubs and affects the scrub radius more than I am comfy with, again, just my opinion.
    -22 stays legal as well in regards track width regs for ADR
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I haven't owned or seen any Patrol Rims with +10. Only factory ones I have seen are either 0 or -13 depending on wheel pack or GQ/GU.
    Not sayin +10 isn't out there just sayin' I haven't ever had any.
    I definitely wouldn't call +10 as a "standard offset" depending on how you interpret the term.
    Is +10 the offset for skinnies maybe?

I use -22 offset rims for any tyre 305, 315 or 12 1/2 width.
    Any wider and it starts to load up the hubs and affects the scrub radius more than I am comfy with, again, just my opinion.
    -22 stays legal as well in regards track width regs for ADR
    The GUIV Alloys are Positive 10

The other GU Alloys are all Pos10 too

I also think the GQ Alloys in a 16x8 are a Pos10 also.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 9th December 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast