Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pyro Readings

Hi everyone,

I had my first run on the freeway with the 3.0L with a pyro fitted. I was driving out to the Melbourne airport and maxed at 538, that was driving at 100 in 5th babying it, no big hills and just doing what I had to maintain speed. I regularly see 400 driving around town, it generally spikes as I am changing up from 3rd to 4th, changing at about 2600-2700 rpm with light throttle. What has been everyone else's experiance?

Cheers

Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you saw 538c in 5th gear babying it on the freeway doing 100 then you need a tune or there is another problem i would have thought. You should not see that kind of number other than at the end of a long drag in third or a long drag in fourth through to gear change. Quick shift will not see that kind of numbers and really needs to be dragging the back side out of it to get the numbers that high.

When i say high, it is not of concern but is higher than it should be with that kind of driving.

Have you got a boost controller on it? have you got a boost gauge on it? time for a Dyno tune i'd say. Pyros are great for telling you what is actually happening. Believe it. Get some advice on a dyno mate. Dont go there without a Boost controller and gauge though.

Good luck.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got a boost gauge yet but it is on the list, I've only had the troll for a couple of weeks. I have just got a catch can for it which I have to fit then I was going to do the boost gauge. Does over boosting cause the temps to spike? I am still trying to figure out the cause of the overheat, from what I have read it seems to be related to running rich due to either a dirty MAF sensor sending incorect readings to the ECU or to the intake pipe being dirty?

Cheers

Phil

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That temps too high for easy driving, check your air filter is clean or go for a K&N filter which can be washed and reused i did(dirty air filter will make it starve for air and make it rich).
    I would think it smokes a lot with that kind of temp.
    Wash your MAF with brake cleaner and let it dry before use( dont use carby cleaner to clean the MAF i found out the hard way it can damage the sensor)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does sound a bit high for what I assume is flat road, but you haven't said which 3.0l. Is it CRD? I drive an 07 CRD which consistently sees 100C more than a mate's DI. So 450 for him = 550 me. Temps above 500 are not uncommon on CRDs, and many take them over 600 for short periods. I start to "take interest"at about 550, and back off properly when I see 600, but it does make you wonder what those without pyros are asking of their engines. Having said that I have heard that there is a far higher temperature tolerance designed into in the CRD, but I'd rather err on the side of safety.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies it's an 03 GUIII ZD30. Also this morning I have installed a new genuine nissan air filter and cleaned the MAF. when cleaning the MAF though I did it over a clean white cloth and there was no black whatsoever coming off the MAF with the spray (CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner) so I presume that it was already clean, the air filter had been dirty though. On the way over to work this morning after doing the above there has been no change in temps if anything it seems to be getting hotter quicker! I hit 450 on the way from Nth Melb over to Eastern suburbs, no freeways just a spot of 80k. I wasn't thrashing it but I did have an empty 10x5 tandem trailer on the back. If anyone can post their average temps i.e. cruising in 4th at 60 on flat or up hill, would be great. Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    350 and happy mate for a 4.2 but i would expect around the 350 mark for any form of happy cruising on any car would be kinda average. Is your Pyro pre or post turbo? I am assuming Post Turbo.

Your temps are off mate, there is no two ways about it. I would prioritise getting it on a Dyno with a good tuner
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do your egts drop when higher gear is selected how high do you rev the motor
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philws View Post
    My apologies it's an 03 GUIII ZD30. Also this morning I have installed a new genuine nissan air filter and cleaned the MAF. when cleaning the MAF though I did it over a clean white cloth and there was no black whatsoever coming off the MAF with the spray (CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner) so I presume that it was already clean, the air filter had been dirty though. On the way over to work this morning after doing the above there has been no change in temps if anything it seems to be getting hotter quicker! I hit 450 on the way from Nth Melb over to Eastern suburbs, no freeways just a spot of 80k. I wasn't thrashing it but I did have an empty 10x5 tandem trailer on the back. If anyone can post their average temps i.e. cruising in 4th at 60 on flat or up hill, would be great. Cheers
    at 100-110 km on flatish roads i can see between 280-350 degrees. on a hill in 5th I have never got the above 450 degrees

chugging around town or in a 60 -80 km zone I rarely get them above 200 degrees. unless i give it some and I may hit 300 odd.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ben-e-boy, I usually change between 2600 and 2800. light throttle all the way. regular driving it is always in the 300s gets there bloody quick from take off, again with really light throttle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast