Thread: Camp oven care

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nisspat View Post
    ahhh, i understand. All flavours in one hmmmmm sounds good.
    I reckon you'd be able to get it back with a little rubbing, scrubbing and polishing. After-all its castiron!!!!!!
    wash in cold or warm water no soap until water comes reasonibly clean
    cloth dry, oil straight away dont leave out side,have a cook up enjoy your meal empty out just wipe out and put away
    wont rust this time

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (29th September 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    cloth dry, oil straight away dont leave out side,have a cook up enjoy your meal empty out just wipe out and put away
    wont rust this time
    This is the exact advise I would use. I found an old rusty one at my grandparents and did this treatment a few times and now it is nearly as good as new
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    wont rust this time
    This is the exact advise I would use. I found an old rusty one at my grandparents and did this treatment a few times and now it is nearly as good as new
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Ok, well at the last forum meet up Roofy was absolutely disgusted by my rusty camp oven. It's a fair call because It's looking pretty sad these days...lol

To get it back to It's glory days should I just get the wire brush on the drill and take off all the rust and apply some cooking oil to stop it?

Any other ideas?

Also, what do others do for camp oven care or any sneaky tricks, etc???
    Not a 100% on camp ovens ?? but works great on bbqs and would prob do the same on camp oven,
    the old wire wheel to rid the crud and a couple of coats of pot belly black (fire/heat res' paint) more like black water that stix
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild98 View Post
    Not a 100% on camp ovens ?? but works great on bbqs and would prob do the same on camp oven,
    the old wire wheel to rid the crud and a couple of coats of pot belly black (fire/heat res' paint) more like black water that stix
    i wouldnt use this on the inside of the pot bit of elbow grease and she,l be like new

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! I just did this to my camp oven earlier in the week! It did come out beautiful and black again. Like a bought one!

1 get rid of the rust with a wire brush and or scourer
    2 if you have heaps of rust, fill it with water and bring it to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes and scour again
    3 pre heat oven or bbq to 400 degrees.
    4 wash with hot water and a stiff brush
    5 rinse and dry
    6 apply warm oil over the entire thing with a cloth. wipe off excess (it will burn off anyway)
    7 place upside down on the grill (if doing this inside, line the oven with foil to catch the oil that burns off)
    8 leave it for an hour and allow to cool
    9 coat with oil again and reheat for another hour
    10 you should have a good hard black surface now.

Cheers,

Steve

9. The Following User Says Thank You to frenzy For This Useful Post:

AB (30th September 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenzy View Post
    Aha! I just did this to my camp oven earlier in the week! It did come out beautiful and black again. Like a bought one!

1 get rid of the rust with a wire brush and or scourer
    2 if you have heaps of rust, fill it with water and bring it to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes and scour again
    3 pre heat oven or bbq to 400 degrees.
    4 wash with hot water and a stiff brush
    5 rinse and dry
    6 apply warm oil over the entire thing with a cloth. wipe off excess (it will burn off anyway)
    7 place upside down on the grill (if doing this inside, line the oven with foil to catch the oil that burns off)
    8 leave it for an hour and allow to cool
    9 coat with oil again and reheat for another hour
    10 you should have a good hard black surface now.

Cheers,

Steve
    That sounds like good solid advice Steve, thanks for that...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a couple of river rocks in mine,fill it with water and put back on the edge of fire.The boiling water moves the rocks around and takes most of the crap off.I then wipe it clean and coat with oil,works for me.
    A GOOD MATE WILL BAIL YOU OUT OF JAIL, A BEST MATE WILL BE SITTING NEXT TO YOU SAYING YEP WE F**KED UP

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chester For This Useful Post:

AB (30th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the easiest way to apply oil is a can of spray on cooking oil. Always spray it before it goes back in bag.

Inside is different - best way it to buy some real cheap bacon or snags cook till you have heaps of fat. Let it cool to a white sludge and using paper towel just spread it out and leave it. It will soak into the cast iron.

If it looks dry spray it. Leave the spray in the bag with the camp ovens.

We use cast iron pans in the kitchen at home. Once well seasoned you hardly ever have to wash them. Just scrape rinse wipe and put away most of the time.
    GU4_3"lift_4"exhaust_sliders_Bars_fridge_roof top camper_lockers_duramax_allison_ohh yeah!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyWgnOwen View Post
    I found the easiest way to apply oil is a can of spray on cooking oil. Always spray it before it goes back in bag.

Inside is different - best way it to buy some real cheap bacon or snags cook till you have heaps of fat. Let it cool to a white sludge and using paper towel just spread it out and leave it. It will soak into the cast iron.

If it looks dry spray it. Leave the spray in the bag with the camp ovens.

We use cast iron pans in the kitchen at home. Once well seasoned you hardly ever have to wash them. Just scrape rinse wipe and put away most of the time.
    Yeah, couldn't agree more. I do the same. One of our camp ovens belonged to my grandfather's mother. It would be just over 100 years old, still going strong. It has three little legs on the bottom which can be a pain as they wear through what ever you store it in while traveling.

Some advice I was given was never to wash them too much. Oil n' grease etc. needs to build up in the iron over time, you end up with a non stick surface. Keep the oil up to them and your laughing.

My 2 bobz...

Ty.
    2000 4.2 - 2" Lift - 3" Exhaust - IPF Spotties - Kincrome Winch, Plasma Rope - Stratos Seats - BF Muddies - Procomp Wheels - Trailblazer Fridge - Outback Drawers - Solar - Running with 2Stroke and a truck load more to come..........(Chopped in July)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast