Thread: Guide: Wiring Spotlights to switch

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good.
    I only hope someone does it for me when I mess up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quickly played with that diagram thats been floating about. Thats my understanding how it would be.

Switch in one position, lights will be on.
    Switch in the other position, will come on with reverse lights.
    Always powered through the relay.

Remember to fuse the relay and the power to the switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps, this will make it nice and easy for e to work out how to put my roof lights on , looks like I can start my project today
    I am spending my children's inheritance on my 92 GQ PATROL .. and by the time they get it, it will have way to many kilometers on the clock, and it wont be worth anything

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always good to see someones work pay off. Spend so long doing it its good to see it done right. good job mate.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday, just joined the forum after reading this post and many other helpfull ones! Im just about to run the wire for two 7 inch cibie oscars with 100w globes as rear work lights and also flip up when out bush and would firstly like to say this post has helped me out heaps. Just want to know if my thinking is correct, i have a 5 pin relay and will be running positive off each light to each 87 pin on the relay, does this mean each wire will draw aprrox 8-9 amps per light instead of 16-18amps on one 87 pin (4 pin relay)? Then run one wire fused from battery to relay, one wire from relay to negative on battery, one wire from switch to reverse circuit, the other switch pin to the same pin on relay as reverse curcuit, then the relay will take all the power right? Then i will have the middle position of the switch as off, one way on for light only when in reverse and the other to have on whenever nessicary and dont need the ignition on? ill just put what im running and please feel free to correct me if i went wrong, narva 6mm(30amp) wire inline fuse holder with 20amp fuse, 6mm wire, 40amp 5 pin relay with resistor, 20 amp 3 way switch.
    Last edited by black-str; 5th December 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right but I like pictures when it comes to planning wiring stuff.
    The last wiring diagram looks good to me, I'd follow that.
    Unless you're close to the battery I find it a PITA to pick up the earth there, I'm lazy and look for a decent earthing spot closer to where I'm working, generally speaking......
    Cheers
    Drew.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

black-str (5th December 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you mean by PITA? is it point in the area? relay is going right near the others near the battery, as there is a spare threaded hole for an auxilary relay, just had a look under the bonnet this arvo after repling never realised it had 2 other fuses and no where near the quality i am putting on, just bought the car so might consider putting a multi fuse box in.
    Last edited by black-str; 5th December 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by black-str View Post
    what do you mean by PITA? is it point in the area?
    PITA is a FLA for Pain In The Ar....
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gday, just joined the forum after reading this post and many other helpfull ones! Im just about to run the wire for two 7 inch cibie oscars with 100w globes as rear work lights and also flip up when out bush and would firstly like to say this post has helped me out heaps. Just want to know if my thinking is correct, i have a 5 pin relay and will be running positive off each light to each 87 pin on the relay, does this mean each wire will draw aprrox 8-9 amps per light instead of 16-18amps on one 87 pin (4 pin relay)?
    Each wire will have about 9amps running through it. It doesn't really matter if you have a 4 pin or 5 pin relay (as long as it has 2x 87 pins and not 1x 87a pin) The 5 pin relay does make it easier to connect 2 wires to. I would also use a good quality relay, I prefer Bosch relays.

Then run one wire fused from battery to relay,
    I would use a 25amp circuit breaker instead of a fuse and this connects to pin 30 of the relay.

one wire from relay to negative on battery,
    Pin 85 of the relay is the earth for the relay switching and has minor current draw. You don't need to run this back to the negative of the battery, You can put it under the mounting screw for the relay.

one wire from switch to reverse circuit, the other switch pin to the same pin on relay as reverse curcuit, then the relay will take all the power right?
    You need to run a wire from pin 86 of the relay and connect it to the middle/common pin of your switch. Then connect the reverse light feed to one side of the switch and the battery feed to the other side of the switch. As per the diagram above. If you are going to take the battery feed for the switch from pin 30 of the relay I would recommend using a 5 or 10amp fuse mounted as close as possible to the relay.

Then i will have the middle position of the switch as off, one way on for light only when in reverse and the other to have on whenever nessicary and dont need the ignition on? ill just put what im running and please feel free to correct me if i went wrong, narva 6mm(30amp) wire inline fuse holder with 20amp fuse, 6mm wire, 40amp 5 pin relay with resistor, 20 amp 3 way switch.

Your list looks good. In stead of the 20amp inline fuse I would use a 25amp circuit breaker and I would use 5mm or 6mm twin core to run from the relay to each light, this way you can connect the earth for the lights to the negative of the battery.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank vendor, Thanks heaps just knocked off and getting in to the wiring now hopefully I get it done this weekend

13. The Following User Says Thank You to black-str For This Useful Post:

Yendor (8th December 2012)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast