Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Transmission Oil Cooler for Patrol GQ

Hi Guys / Gals,

Looking to get a Auto Trans Cooler to fit to my GQ Patrol. Will be doing bush work with hill climbs, and towing the occassional trailer / boat now and again.

I have found a mob in melbourne who are experts and recommend a 30 plate version with dimensions 280 x 280 x 19mm, price??.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=12319

There is also the Davies Craig - HydraCool 30 Plate (Model: 679) dimensions: 300 x 285 x 19mm with 3/8" barb connect at $230.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Oil_Co...9-details.aspx

Also some similiar options from ebay, such as the PWR - 280 x 255 x 19 with 3/8" barb connect $119, and AN6 connect $140.

Some questions:

1. Airflow Issues: If a oil cooler dimensions 300 x 300 was mounted in front of the condenser radiator, would that not restrict air flow to the water radiator, affecting engine temp?

2. How to mount: Some people say mount to the condensor radiator?!?! Others say mount to the front Grill?!? I can forsee the condensor raditor being damaged from bearing the load, and movement, would not the same issue of the front grill breaking under load also?? What about proper made-up stand-off's from the front frame?? - Advice please.

3. Connection Issues: The output from the transmission fluid side tanks of the water radiator is 5/16" barb, most of these devices are 3/8" or AN6. What is the best method to adapt to the 5/16" barb, with best guarantee of no leak issues?

Has anybody used the devices descibed above, and is "bigger" really better. Summer is coming up, and I plan on doing some tours. Are there other recommends?

Would be nice to hear from people who have mounted such devices, and the feedback.
    Last edited by oldtimer40; 25th September 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: other notes put in by mistake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday mate welcome aboard gotta good mob here with good info and advice

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome 2 the forum,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

I would recommend putting in a temp gauge first and see what your oil temp is running at before installing anything else.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 26th September 2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alloy radiator with twin oil coolers?? Just a thought - better Colling system, and it solves the transmission cooling at the same time. I installed one (have an oil cooler also), and it's quite incredible the difference it's made.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Alloy radiator with twin oil coolers?? Just a thought - better Colling system, and it solves the transmission cooling at the same time. I installed one (have an oil cooler also), and it's quite incredible the difference it's made.
    So you know what temp your auto is running at Scottie?????

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrhind View Post
    So you know what temp your auto is running at Scottie?????
    Bloody cool!!! lmao ...

It was running hot as buggery before I got the radiator though - you could cook an egg on the top of the gear lever assembly in the car. As they say, keep the transmission cool and keep it for life ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody cool!!! lmao ...

It was running hot as buggery before I got the radiator though - you could cook an egg on the top of the gear lever assembly in the car. As they say, keep the transmission cool and keep it for life ...
    now you tell me *LMAO* do run a temp gauge in yours????, something i am thinking of doing, might as well while the gearbox is out and in 1 billion bits *L*

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day buddy, Great bunch around here mate, great advice, heaps of knowledge & experience and some great laughs too,

Welcome aboard buddy.Enjoy the ride

Cheers Pete
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BigRig, I have only had this beast for 2 weeks, and have noticed the engine is getting very warm, and the trans is getting very very hot on normal driving.

It had the head changed and modifed at some stage, so the 40mm hose from the bottom of the radiator has a tee-section into a 3/4" heater pipe going into the bottom of the thermostat housing (2 feeds in), and the top of the radiator 40mm pipe to the top of the thermostat housing has a tee-section into another 3/4" pipe then a 6 way splitter with 6 OFF 5/16" hoses going into each cylinder. Asking around this was done as a fix to the overheat and head cracking issues.

I dumped the coolant?! - What coolant, dirty brown sludge...so much for the service upkeep.

So far I have changed:

- All belts (they were stuffed anyway)
    - Radiator ($350 for re-core)
    - Radiator, tranmission and heater hoses
    - In the middle of fixing the air filter box as it's all cracked - very hard to get, by the way.

I was just thinking whilw I'm repairing, to get "peace of mind" and elininate the possible of the trans crapping out when you least expect it, just to get it done.

To install a thermostat, I was quoted $295.00 for just the parts, as below.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=12031

So my thinking is $150 for a transmission cooler with overheat problem fixed vs $295 to see if I have a problem.

You thoughts...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer40 View Post
    Thanks BigRig, I have only had this beast for 2 weeks, and have noticed the engine is getting very warm, and the trans is getting very very hot on normal driving.

It had the head changed and modifed at some stage, so the 40mm hose from the bottom of the radiator has a tee-section into a 3/4" heater pipe going into the bottom of the thermostat housing (2 feeds in), and the top of the radiator 40mm pipe to the top of the thermostat housing has a tee-section into another 3/4" pipe then a 6 way splitter with 6 OFF 5/16" hoses going into each cylinder. Asking around this was done as a fix to the overheat and head cracking issues.

I dumped the coolant?! - What coolant, dirty brown sludge...so much for the service upkeep.

So far I have changed:

- All belts (they were stuffed anyway)
    - Radiator ($350 for re-core)
    - Radiator, tranmission and heater hoses
    - In the middle of fixing the air filter box as it's all cracked - very hard to get, by the way.

I was just thinking whilw I'm repairing, to get "peace of mind" and elininate the possible of the trans crapping out when you least expect it, just to get it done.

To install a thermostat, I was quoted $295.00 for just the parts, as below.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=12031

So my thinking is $150 for a transmission cooler with overheat problem fixed vs $295 to see if I have a problem.

You thoughts...
    Decision is ultimately always yours mate, however you mention a bit has been done to keep the engine cool also, and that was sort of the path I was going down - alloy radiator (decent size), with twin oil coolers gives you the best of both worlds - addresses the transmission cooling as well as being more efficient at cooling the engine. You can go another step further and get a cooler thermostat (they open about 72 degrees instead of 85 - I have one if these also).

But alloy radiators aren't cheap, so it's a balance I guess between trying some things as you mention or just going for gold and installing a new setup. Either way, get the oil cooler and you can still do an alloy radiator install later if you wanted and have 3 coolers (like mine - 1 oil cooler and twin tanks on the radiator).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast