OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust Bubbles - Old dent - Whats the best thing to do?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I forgot to take photos...OOPS!

I cut the rust out of the roof and the gutters on the weekend, got right in and removed everything and sprayed rust converter all inside too.

So far so good, the rust is only isolated in those two little spots. I also bogged it all up and primed it.

The side quarter is still damaged but I did remove all the surface rust and prime that for now to stop the process and took the petrol cap off and I'll get the paint matched today and spray it next weekend.

Poor Bluey is looking like a beaten up two tone mess at the moment...LMAO...But she'll come good by the weekend!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that primer is not water proof - you need to put some colour on or rust will reappear.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that primer is not water proof - you need to put some colour on or rust will reappear.
    For sure mate, the car is in the shed now and I just dropped off the fuel cap to get matched this week and Bluey isn't going anywhere until I can paint it next weekend.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if short term exposure to water is an issue. The blokes I knew that resprayed used to squirt on a mist of black over the primer, as a guide coat, and then block it back with fine abrasive paper, using water to keep the paper clean. Maybe that was the only way it could be done?

What was a problem was leaving primer on its own for a while.

Sounds like a good project AB. Was it fiddly removing and replacing the roof lining? Guess you did it in sections?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I don't know if short term exposure to water is an issue. The blokes I knew that resprayed used to squirt on a mist of black over the primer, as a guide coat, and then block it back with fine abrasive paper, using water to keep the paper clean. Maybe that was the only way it could be done?

What was a problem was leaving primer on its own for a while.

Sounds like a good project AB. Was it fiddly removing and replacing the roof lining? Guess you did it in sections?
    I did a bit of a dodgy mate, not that I ever do dodgys...lol

The outside bubbles pretty much had tiny rusted holes after removing all the rust so I ended up going deeper with 2 holes the size of a 5 cent piece. I could then look inside to see what damage was done and vacuum'd out all the debris to find it was actually no rust in the inner panel. Poked around for about half an hour with lights, vacuum, etc to find it was all clear on the inner panel and sprayed rust converter inside to be sure.

Time will tell if I was right or wrong...LMAO

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (3rd October 2011), Silver (3rd October 2011)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zap it! Zap it now!

Treat rust like you would cancer -if you find a lump, you don't delay yanking it out until it gets big enough to be serious. Instead, you get it now before it has the chance to get serious.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I have one of those also but mines on the window frame of the front passenger door and I also have what look a rusty skin rash on the passenger side B pillar I will take some pictures for those who love a good look.
    What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis?
    Screwed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Well Here are the pictures and also i got the wrong window it was the drivers side rear. I also forgot the ouch on the left rear panel (not mine previous owner).
    and finally my bonnet needs respraying after an overheating problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis?
    Screwed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12