Thread: Alternator replacement - wiring question

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternator replacement - wiring question

Howdy, I have just had to replace the alternator on my TB42E patrol. The old alternator had to posts with wires going back into the loom, one with "Bat +" and the other unmarked. The new alternator only has one post with "B+". Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the other wire was and if it should be connected somewhere else?
    Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other would be an earth wire.. As long as the positive goes on the correct pole and the earth goes on the other(might not be a pole but just a small bolt..probably 8mm head) will be fine
    Scotty
    Last edited by rottodiver; 7th January 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added a bit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rottodiver For This Useful Post:

patch697 (7th January 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rottodiver View Post
    the other would be an earth wire.. As long as the positive goes on the correct pole and the earth goes on the other(might not be a pole but just a small bolt..probably 8mm head) will be fine
    scotty
    ^^^^^ x2 ^^^^^

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X3 I just did this yesterday and the smaller wire just hooks on the alternator for earth.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a alternator on my GQ melt down on me a couple of years ago and replaced it with one from a GU. I had a small problem with the bracket but that was the easy fix, for some time after I had lots of electrical issue but after a quick visit to an autoelctrican and "no charge" after a very quick diagnosis he pushed the plug in and all fixed. He is on my list of repairers to revisit in Melton Vic.

Lesson learnt make sure you push connectors in properly. LOL
    Last edited by Dapple; 19th February 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis?
    Screwed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I also just had my alt on my GQ, TB-42 have a BIG melt down on Thursday, alt light didnt even come on, only noticed when stereo started making popping noises, looked at volt meter on dash and was only reading 6 volts. Took it to auto elec on Friday, they pulled alt apart to find that the stator had completly burnt out, non repairable. So I called a mate who wrecks a few Patrols to see if he had another alt, he had an EF Falcon alt that had been made to fit the Patrol. The Falcon alt is 100amp, it had the original GQ alt double pulley bolted on, also the back mounting leg had been cut off, all bolted straight up, as there was only the 1 leg remaining I made another metal bracket to mount off the back of the alt, then bolted that up to intake manifold. All wiring connected straight up with no modifications, even the 2 wire Patrol plug just plugs straight in. Only thing I did do was run an extra wire from + terminal on alt straight up to + terminal on battery. Turned key on and alt light came on, started Patrol light went out, was showing 14 volts, checked with multimeter with all accesories turned on, ie-twin thermos, high beam/ driving lights, stereo and heater fan on high, RPM at 1000, volts didnt even drop 1 volt. Problem all fixed for approx $100. Sorry to ramble on, but hopefully this will help others.