User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improved Sub Tank fuel recovery

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, providing the transfer pump cuts out before the tank is empty. I suppose that's why there is so much left in aux tank from factory, ensuring fuel remaining despite angles.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fuel tanks are designed to leave around 10% in thew bottom of the tank for Condensate (water) to accumulate and the sludge and grit to sit.
    They also fit a fairly fine plastic strainer on to the fuel pick up to hopefully stop the grit and sludge (leave it in the tank), however I've had issues with the in tank strainer blocking and having major issues with lost power.
    So I have removed the in tank strainer and fitted the hose extension in order to get all the fuel, I then fit a in line strainer and seperator in the fuel line before the OEM filter
    I did this in 1996 to my 1992 Hilux and have not had to change the OEM filter since, (200,000 km+)
    I have now done the same to my Tractor, Pajero and Patrol
    I don't like fixing blocked in tank strainers on the run much easier to clean a External seperator and in spect the in line disposable strainer every 5,000km
    Jeo

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'n'Shred View Post
    Great idea, providing the transfer pump cuts out before the tank is empty. I suppose that's why there is so much left in aux tank from factory, ensuring fuel remaining despite angles.
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wait till the Main tank is <1/2 full, then start fuel transfer, when the maintank stops rising and Sub stops falling I then press the Sub button again and the pump stops.
    The sub pump is a self priming diagragham pump and designed to run dry for short periods.
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on getting more out of the sub tank. The extra filters are a good precaution.
    2003 GU ST-L, ZD30TD, 2 inch lift, 2.5m side awning, cargo rack, snorkel, 285/75/16 M/T tires, cargo draws, cargo barrier, UHF, DVD/CD player, on board air compressor, duel batteries, B/Bar, spot lights, 50ltr water tank, Pillar pod with egt & boost gauges, catch can, egr block, dawes and needle valves, 3" exhaust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice idea, will have a look this weekend at mine. Will defintitely be putting a filter sepeartor on when I get the car back running.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just filled up
    ran sub out and main to warning light
    then fueled up 120L, and 970km, so average 12.3 L/100
    Happy with that
    Regards
    Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12