Thread: Engine conversion and Vacume pump setup and location

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine conversion and Vacume pump setup and location

Hi All

I am currently converting an RD28T into an RD28eti. I have purchased a import RD28T (bare engine) and am looking at moving everything from the RD28eti to make it compatible to put back into my car (1998 GU Patrol). the RD28eti has pushed a rod through the block which exploded and shattered the sump.

I have found a couple of hurdles, which i am hoping that someone can assist me with.

The rocker covers are obviously different, with the RD28eti having a vacume pump and PCV mounted on the top of the rocker cover. The RD28T does not have any bolt-ons to the rocker cover.

The problem is, that the vacume pump is driven by the cam shaft with a cam follower and a special cam on the shaft. it also has an oil injector for that cam. the RD28T does not have either of these, and there is no room in the head to put the oil injector even if i did change over the cam shaft.

If i use the RD28T rocker cover, is there another Vacume pump that i can use that is used on GQ patrols that bolts on somewhere else? otherwise my brakes wont have any vacume assist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the RD28eti is the engine out of the Patrol. the RD28T is the bare engine import that i am converting. the Vacume on the RD29eti is on the rocker cover, what i am looking for is where is was on the RD28T. hopefully people with GQ patrols should have an answer to this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if i go with an external vacume pump - whereever it mounts??? would there be problems with overpressurising the head, as this rocker cover does not have a PCV?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCV isn't a biggy as drill & fit a pipe into the rocer cover easy enough & run an inline PCV instead.

As for the vac pump, have you looked into using a alternator with a vac pump?..

I don't know for sure if its possible but I'd be looking into it as an option.

Good luck with it all mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks.

does anyone have any idea what the specs are on the GQ alternator (with the vacum pump)? i.e. how many amps etc? also, does it mount on the same bracket as the GU alterator?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Greg View Post
    thanks.

does anyone have any idea what the specs are on the GQ alternator (with the vacum pump)? i.e. how many amps etc? also, does it mount on the same bracket as the GU alterator?
    a STD is normally around the 55amp mark but most have been upgraded by now to 80's, 120's & 160's so if your looking as a s/h one to try it out your more likely to find a none std over an std.

I can't help with advice on the mounting brackets but tell whom ever you pick up an alternator from what your doing & ask if you can return it for a full refund if its not what your after.

Some s/h parts suppliers will only offer you a credit note as a refund so be sure to ask before you buy.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the older GQs, (plain rocker cover RD28T) they did use the alternator with a vac pump attached to the back. i believe it is also similar to the alternator on a TD42. maybe look into fitting a TD42 alternator to your RD28. It also should use the same alternator mounts which are already on your old engine (there should be matching holes in your RD28T, alternator and A/C may be on same bracket). hope this helps. cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not able to just swap the heads all together?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am avoiding taking the head off. the new one is in good condition, but who knows what the old one is like after it blew a rod through the side of the block. the crank case brackets disintegrated and shot through the sump like shrapnel from flack rounds. it pushed through the side of the bolck at no 1 piston, under the engine mount and all the way almost to the head. not a pretty sight.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone has a picture of an RD28T, i would be interested in what the PCV mount looks like on the rocker cover. mine was purchased as a bare engine, so all i get is a hole, and 2 srew holes either side of it.

Also a picture of the alternator setup, plugs and vacum pump from a GQ would be appreciated.