Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Flywheel Horror Stories

Hi fellas,

I have an issue with my dual mass flywheel. What I wanted to know is if anyone else has had any horror stories to share of their flywheel.

At the moment there is a lot of play in mine, which gives me a shuddering (not clutch slip) and very commonly causes a dreaded engine misfire type symptom at idle (shakes the car because it becomes un-balanced). I am relocating back to Central Vic (Shepparton) soon and need to tow a 12x6 enclosed furniture trailer down. Im a little worried it won't like the additional weight being towed.

What are your horror stories and do you think it may become a problem if not replaced.

I want to convert it to a solid, but moving back home and not having a job to go to scares me a bit…

Did I say Job? Thats my next question, lol.

Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to guterra For This Useful Post:

patch697 (17th September 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I don't have a horror story to share but if you think your flywheel is in trouble then I think it wise to check it out before attempting to tow all that way with it.

It may do the job just fine, BUT If it was to fail on the trip down it may work out a far more costly exorcize to have it fixed then doing something about it before you take off.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2, i would be getting it checked out if possible just to be on the safe side.. Will probably be fine on the way down, but if its not........

Give me a holla when ya get settled back down here and could maybe meetup for a wheel or beer at some point as im also from shep.. Pretty sure you msged me a couple weeks ago on other un-named forum haha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    X2, i would be getting it checked out if possible just to be on the safe side.. Will probably be fine on the way down, but if its not........

Give me a holla when ya get settled back down here and could maybe meetup for a wheel or beer at some point as im also from shep.. Pretty sure you msged me a couple weeks ago on other un-named forum haha
    Oh its got a name, you just can't say it here as we're a family forum................hahahahahahahahahahaha

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has anyone replaced their dual mass flywheel with a solid one?

Are you happy with it?

When I was working at a Holden dealer we fitted a few solid ones to the V6 engines and it changed the characteristic of the vehicle.

The owners seemed happy with it, well no one came back and asked for it to be removed.

I guess they were more happy with the price difference.
    Last edited by Yendor; 17th September 2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: corrected wrong info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    Oh its got a name, you just can't say it here as we're a family forum................hahahahahahahahahahaha
    Haha thats why its un-named lol
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Has anyone replaced their dual mass flywheel with a solid one?

Are you happy with it?

When I was working at a Holden dealer we fitted a few solid ones to the gen 3 engines and it changed the characteristic of the vehicle.

The owners seemed happy with it, well no one came back and asked for it to be removed.

I guess they were more happy with the price difference.
    I have driven a 3ltr with a solid flywheel and i thought it to be very good, also believe it had a 4terrain clutch in it.. I wouldnt have a problem putting one in my troll
    Apprentice Sparky

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patch, Fletchy

That was along the lines of what I was thinking… If it does go on the way down, we are in a lot of sh……………t. Just wanted to hear a few nasty stories… No idea why? Should of asked for good stories.

The last few days its been getting pretty bad. So I think we might wait it out a few more months and change it. I have pretty much decided to chuck a 4Terrain clutch kit in and forget about it, but as I live in a unit at the moment, its kinda impractical for me to do it. Miss the backyard where I could have every inch of grass covered with parts… Guess I'll have to find someone else's grass.

Yes Fletch that was me on the other "un-named forum that has a name that we cannot speak of cause we're a family here." lol. A bit disappointed, cause I was really looking forward to meeting your nice looking patrol. Damn it looks good. Gives me a hard…………….. (you no where this is going - family forum remember!).

Yendor,

Didn't no the Gen 3's had a dual mass in them. I had a "tricked up gen 3" VY Calais (auto of course so no it never had one) in my younger dumber days when a commodore was the best thing around…. haha how wrong was I

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guterra For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (17th September 2011), patch697 (17th September 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have read good reports about the 4Terrain kits. Never driven one personally. So I hope its as good as people say... Just another expense... Really need to lift the girl and put decent shoes on her and this kind of stuff happens. Damn it!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry I meant the V6