Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on "copy" products.

Hi all, long time reader, sometimes poster. :P

Ok, here's a moral dilemma I'm having.

I'm going to be buying a new bull bar soon as mine is cactus.

Looking around on ebay and there's quite a few "copies" floating around. You have ARB style and TJM style bars (roof racks, rear bars etc) and they seems to be half the price.

Now generally, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a knock off (copied) product like say, track pants or shoes. 9/10 times it's the same gear, just not branded.

However, this is going on my Patrol and there's a safety factor to consider. Now I'm not saying these copies are better or worse, so just hear me out on this.

Would you;
    a) Pay more for a product that is branded, has a warranty and let's face it, give you some status.
    or
    b) Pay less for a product that isn't branded (or, is branded but from a company that isn't one of the big 3 or 4), has a limited warranty (30 days, maybe 3 months) and save some hard earned cash?

I know a lot of people say, "you get what you pay for" and then on the other side of the fence, you have people say "it's exactly the same, it's just missing a sticker". It's really hard to say who's right or wrong. Person A could buy an ARB bull bar and it could last 20 years. Person B could buy an unbranded bull bar and it lasts just as long. But we are paying more for the ARB product because of all the R&D aren't we? Or are we just filling pockets because it says ARB on it?

At the moment, I'm tossing up between a genuine TJM bar (about $1500) and a copy (about $1000). It's quite a saving, actually, that money could also help me upgrade my roof rack, which would probably be another copied style one. ($400)

What are your thoughts on this whole issue?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about getting a good 2nd hand bar? you can get them at a fraction of the price of a new bar.
    The copies are getting alot better these days but if you have a winch or plans of getting a winch I would go with a tjm or arb.
    Last edited by Benno7; 14th September 2011 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mate of mine bought a brand new big name bar that had rust on the welds where the powder coating didn't cover so he returned and got a new one only for the exact same issue. So ya don't always get what you pay for! As long as it's got an AS I'd buy if cheaper and has the features you want

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any protective gear unless it complies with ADR's,
    There is nothing wrong with a knock off to save some cash.... BUT.....
    you need to be very careful in the event that you hit and kill someone, if the bull bar complies with ADR's then your backside is fairly well protected.
    buy a knockoff that does not comply with ADR's and I reckon you have got a lot of headaches and huge legal costs trying to defend yourself.
    just my 2 cents worth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you have Air bags, any bullbar you fit needs to be airbag compliant, or your airbags may fail to deploy in a major frontal impact, most of the major brands have bars tested and tagged to suit airbag vehicles.
    Last edited by 04OFF; 14th September 2011 at 12:33 PM.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points fellas and I totally agree.

Some of the copy bars are actually built to Aust. Standards and are Airbag compliant! I know.. it's amazing, lol.
    For insurance purposes, it's a no-brainer to have everything legit.

I guess I'll have to find out what kind of warranty the big brands offer and make my decision based on that. I'd rather a couple of years protection than 30days.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points guys. If it were me... Branded. But im all up for good quality second hand gear.
    I like having warranties and feel safer when purchasing proven products.
    2001 GU series II 3.0 TD.
    2" lift
    Dual Battery System
    ARB Snorkel
    Awesome car!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hmmmmm, i have to admit that i went to the recent 4wd show wanting a pair of awnings for the GU. I wanted a 2.5 for the side and a 1.2 for the back. I looked at all the products on offer and noted that the ARB and the Ironman where basically the same product. the Tigerz11 was also very similar.

I did the math and the ARB products came to $40 more for a combined purchase. I decided that driving around with the ARB Logo hanging off my roofrack was worth the $40 premium for the privilege. I know.... Call me a snob, but bugger it, I'm happy.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 22nd September 2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.