Thread: Fixing GQ/GU auto hubs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqt View Post
    Hey. In need of help. My gq auto hubs were the same as pic above with auto mechanism on the axle. I removed the auto mechanism. Took both sides of and put the circlip back on to hold the axles out still. Now my problem is that my hubs don't lock at all. Is this because I removed both sides of the auto mechanism? Do I need to put one of them back on? And which part should be put back on if this is the case? I've got a 4wd trip on Sunday and only just found out today that they are not locking in. Help will be very much appreciated.
    Hey mate

We ask that people throw up an intro before asking questions just so we all know a bit about you and your rig and know who we're dealing with - no harm done at all mate, and people will be along to assist with the problem no doubt .

Can you manually lock the hubs in by turning the nut on the hub? Might get you through the weekend and you can look at sorting the auto hubs later - I took my auto hubs out and replaced with a manual set for the very reason that when you get amongst it, the auto hubs just proved unreliable ...

Welcome aboard, and hope you get it sorted for the weekend!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey. In need of help. My gq auto hubs were the same as pic above with auto mechanism on the axle. I removed the auto mechanism. Took both sides of and put the circlip back on to hold the axles out still. Now my problem is that my hubs don't lock at all. Is this because I removed both sides of the auto mechanism? Do I need to put one of them back on? And which part should be put back on if this is the case? I've got a 4wd trip on Sunday and only just found out today that they are not locking in. Help will be very much appreciated.
    I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on, this limits axle movement. what do you mean by they don't lock at all???? if the auto mechanism has been removed you must manually lock your hubs in before engaging 4WD.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I'm able to turn the locking key both ways and keep turning it as much as I like.
    That is normal as far as i know, mine does the same

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not introducing yet. Will do so shortly. I mean when in the lock position they still do not lock.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not introducing yet. Will do so shortly. I mean when in the lock position they still do not lock.

how do you know its not locked?????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From when I was bogged today and it just sunk the 2 rear wheels down in mud while the fronts did nothing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this was my problem. this video was taken with both hubs in lock.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=IMG_0757.mp4

i just removed the drivers side front hub, with the hub in lock i could spin the inside with the splines freely with my hand. turned it to auto, same thing which is good. turned back to lock, and could no longer turn by hand, fit the hub back on and all good. so must off had a misalignment issue occur when i removed the auto lock mechanism. not sure why or how, but that's what happend.

going to take both hubs off now and fit one side of the auto mechanism to use as a spacer now, just for some extra reassurance.

taking the part of the auto mechanism that i put back in to use a spacers back out, having them in made the hubs very noisy again, which was the reason i removed the auto mech part in the first place.
    Last edited by gqt; 28th July 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clicking or not is only matter of proper servicing Your hubs. Auto mode of standard Nissan hubs is very useful and wise solution until You know how to live with it.
    Make easy service: open hubs, accurately clean with gasoline getting all old fet/grease out of it, dry it properly and after that put just a bit of Nissan Part Symbol KRC19-00025 grease. DO NOT overdose!!! Overdosing is 99% reason of improperly working hubs.

And then just to remember: always lock them when You plan driving off-road. Even on black hubs might be locked when You shift to H2. The only difference is Your front axles will rotate free making some slide discomfort at high speeds.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clicking went away after a little bit of driving so left the axle side of the auto mechanism in and haven't had any problems since. Worked well offroad

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was having the clicking sound from hubs?
    Have had them off but they looked fine
    Will now take them off again and clean them out from the excess grease I put in
    If that doesn't remedy the problem will do the mod shown in this section
    Thanks all
    Cheers
    Murph the surf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast