Thread: Fixing GQ/GU auto hubs

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKID View Post
    Can some one please tell me clearly, what to remove and what to put back in when reinstalling the hub....
    Just take the auto locking mechanism out which will look like post 39

You should not need 2 put anything back in

Not 100% sure with the GU's but with my GQ the Locking mechanism was mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown in the original post. Removing the auto locking mechanism required the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Just take the auto locking mechanism out which will look like post 39

You should not need 2 put anything back in

Not 100% sure with the GU's but with my GQ the Locking mechanism was mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown in the original post. Removing the auto locking mechanism required the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.
    I don't need to pry out the part in your pictures as when I took the hubs off they came out separately. No I didn't lock the hubs first, I only found that out after removing them doing the wheel bearings and putting hubs back on and the problem started.... I didn't grease them up as they were already full of grease, So do I simply leave that whole assembly out, or do I pull the guts out of it and put piece pictured in your post back in? Also the eg ring thing was sticking out about 3 mm and with a gentle tap of the hammer it now sits flush, should I also remove the egg ring and re seat it back to where it was? Replacing the brake pads, and doing the wheel bearing up was going so well until I screwed up, any further advice would be appreciated....

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on, this limits axle movement. what do you mean by they don't lock at all???? if the auto mechanism has been removed you must manually lock your hubs in before engaging 4WD.

Cheers

Todd
    When people are referring to a circlip "I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on" where is this circlip? I didn't need to pry out the part in your pictures as when I took the hubs off they came out separately with out any force needed....

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do I use as a spacer as quoted "fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement."?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did this mod in camp last night and it took 10 minutes for both sides.

Blew the hub completely today damn it. Got me out of trouble though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I did this mod in camp last night and it took 10 minutes for both sides.

Blew the hub completely today damn it. Got me out of trouble though.
    What ever where you doing 2 cause the hub 2 blow completely Daz?
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help plz team

Hi new here, I feel like you guys are more than knowledgeable to help

I recently done new front inner and outer wheel bearing on my y61 SWB Patrol

All back together and test drive presented a clicking/ ratcheting noise from front hubs, Thought i had installed on correctly but once removed and reinstalled (No force needed to reinstall they were aligned correctly) they still clicked.

Not a nice noise at all.

My guess is to much grease on the bearing side is applying pressure to the hub allowing it to semi engage.

I have removed the auto brake as above and other photos have shown, I pried it out the whole auto assm nothing more nothing less.

I didn't take notice of the position the hub was set to when removing and reinstalling, again no force was required to reinstall (As you would expect due to no auto brake to push on)

NOW I HAVE NO FRONT WHEEL ENGAGEMENT LOL

WHY

Have i reinstalled incorrectly? the 4wd worked fine before I'm not going to consider the diff or transfer at this stage (the front drive shaft is moving when in 4 low but when on a hoist hubs locked I have no power from front diff to front wheels)

I plan on removing hubs and trying again this weekend, I will upload a pic of what i have removed so you guys know I'm not stupid hehe,

Hope someone can pint out what I've done wrong and I can use my once auto hubs as LOCK or UNLOCK (manual) hubs yay

Ben.

Photos
    unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDOVA View Post
    Hi new here, I feel like you guys are more than knowledgeable to help

I recently done new front inner and outer wheel bearing on my y61 SWB Patrol

All back together and test drive presented a clicking/ ratcheting noise from front hubs, Thought i had installed on correctly but once removed and reinstalled (No force needed to reinstall they were aligned correctly) they still clicked.

Not a nice noise at all.

My guess is to much grease on the bearing side is applying pressure to the hub allowing it to semi engage.

I have removed the auto brake as above and other photos have shown, I pried it out the whole auto assm nothing more nothing less.

I didn't take notice of the position the hub was set to when removing and reinstalling, again no force was required to reinstall (As you would expect due to no auto brake to push on)

NOW I HAVE NO FRONT WHEEL ENGAGEMENT LOL

WHY

Have i reinstalled incorrectly? the 4wd worked fine before I'm not going to consider the diff or transfer at this stage (the front drive shaft is moving when in 4 low but when on a hoist hubs locked I have no power from front diff to front wheels)

I plan on removing hubs and trying again this weekend, I will upload a pic of what i have removed so you guys know I'm not stupid hehe,

Hope someone can pint out what I've done wrong and I can use my once auto hubs as LOCK or UNLOCK (manual) hubs yay

Ben.

Photos
    unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0Plk7Yscg
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do they click with the front wheels jacked up and by spinning the wheel by hand? If yes unlock one side at a time to see which side its coming from. Are the wheels straight, turned or both, does it happen?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345