Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing GQ/GU auto hubs

G'day all,

Auto hubs are the same GQ and GU, they are an auto hub (much the same as any other auto hub) except that they have a manual over ride that allows you to manually lock them in using the wheel brace. This set up, although not as strong as the full manual hubs, give you the best of both worlds. An auto hub for those times when you're not expecting to need 4WD, and a manual hub for when things get serious. Some owners never bother to manually lock them in as they find the auto lock does everything they need, but they run the risk of the hub unlocking when you change direction. Manually locking them stops them unlocking.

The Patrol auto hubs have a habit of making clicking noises and not engaging and disengaging properly. You can fix them by removing the auto locking mechanism, making them a manual hub. Auto becomes free and locked is still locked. And it's easy to do.

Remove the hubs from the vehicle, shift them to the locked position, and using a large screw driver or small lever bar, prise out the auto locking mechanism. There are six steel tangs holding the mechanism in place, so it takes a bit of force to do. You can see which part you need to remove in the photos.

Hub on the right is how it looks when you first remove it from the vehicle, hub on the left has the auto mechanism removed.

This pic shows the underside of the auto mechanism. Hubs are ready to refit.

***NOTE, since posting this I have found that on some GQ's the auto locking mechanism is mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown above. Removing the mechanism may require the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.
    Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 22nd March 2011 at 12:09 PM.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Avo (4th May 2014), bsax (26th October 2010), dune-mad-patrol (23rd November 2013), frenzy (1st August 2012), ISA.13B (25th February 2015), jay see (1st June 2014), jman69 (2nd April 2016), lachiek (6th November 2012), Lawrence (5th January 2018), Lieney (6th November 2012), my third 256 (12th September 2010), NissanGQ4.2 (16th December 2011), Nobby (14th April 2011), nzmal (19th January 2012), UKKiwi (31st October 2010), VK2FMIA (20th March 2016), Wine_maker (5th May 2014), xtreme patrol (28th July 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great info and pics, cheers Tony!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, that looks easy enough.
    Would the hub after this mod be as strong as a manual hub?(might be a silly question but I'm not very mechanical)

I haven't had any problems with my auto ones yet but heard they do play up and the option was to go to a manual hub....
    the only downside I can see is you wouldn't have the little handle to lock them and would have to use a shifter all the time.

Cool, thanks Tony

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is as easy as it looks.
    Strength wise they are not as strong as Nissan manual hubs.
    Not sure what you mean having to use a shifter to lock them in? You use the wheel brace to lock in the Nissan auto hubs shown.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Not sure what you mean having to use a shifter to lock them in? You use the wheel brace to lock in the Nissan auto hubs shown.

Tony
    Yes, what I meant was you will need to get a brace to lock/unlock the hubs every time instead just turning the knob (like on manual hubs)
    But still a handy little mod for your auto hubs.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 21mm tap(tube) spanner from bunnings plumbing dept. works a treat...just got one this morning....to finish a little plumbing job... tried it out on mine ..neat fit and will easily store in the drivers door console/map pocket so its handy at any time.

Cheers, Roo.
    Last edited by Roo72; 31st August 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Tony, I've done this mod to my Patrol and it works really well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    G'day all,

The Patrol auto hubs have a habit of making clicking noises and not engaging and disengaging properly. You can fix them by removing the auto locking mechanism, making them a manual hub. Auto becomes free and locked is still locked. And it's easy to do.

Remove the hubs from the vehicle, shift them to the locked position, and using a large screw driver or small lever bar, prise out the auto locking mechanism. There are six steel tangs holding the mechanism in place, so it takes a bit of force to do. You can see which part you need to remove in the photos.

Hub on the right is how it looks when you first remove it from the vehicle, hub on the left has the auto mechanism removed.

This pic shows the underside of the auto mechanism. Hubs are ready to refit.

Tony
    another one for Tonys file

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (4th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi on auto hubs why do they have a lock position on them i thought they locked in automatically
    can someone please explaine
    thanks stephen
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are an auto hub with a manual over ride. Auto hubs can under certain circumstances unlock when you may not want them to, being able to manually lock them in will stop this from happening.

Tony

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

ISA.13B (25th February 2015), jman69 (29th March 2016), Mojo01 (5th May 2012), my third 256 (12th September 2010)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast