Thread: Light Bar on my roof rack.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Bar on my roof rack.

Hi All,

I am wanting to mount a 22" Light bar to my roof rack and I am wondering if anyone has done this and where they ran the cables? I was thinking maybe up the snorkel to keep them out of sight but I am wondering how I will get it from under the bonnet to the outside of the car without it sticking out like dogs balls?

Any help and photos will be much appreciated.

Tony.
    2014 ST Plus GU Patrol 3.0 CRDI, Nissan Steel Winch Bar, Domin8r 12000lb Winch with Dyneema, Roo Systems Rock Sliders, 2" Dobinsons Lift, 2.5 x 2.5 awning and full length steel roof rack. More to be added soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah straight up the Snorkel will be fine mate. Check out "LED LightCo" in our Vendors section for some Great lights. Last thing you want to do is go to the trouble and mount a rubbish light.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th July 2016), DX grunt (26th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah straight up the Snorkel will be fine mate. Check out "LED LightCo" in our Vendors section for some Great lights. Last thing you want to do is go to the trouble and mount a rubbish light.
    Thanks Mud Runner,

once I run down the back of my Snorkel how do I go about getting it into the engine bay?

Tony.
    2014 ST Plus GU Patrol 3.0 CRDI, Nissan Steel Winch Bar, Domin8r 12000lb Winch with Dyneema, Roo Systems Rock Sliders, 2" Dobinsons Lift, 2.5 x 2.5 awning and full length steel roof rack. More to be added soon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found where I can come out (not of the closet). I come up the inside of the front guard and then there is a gap where the A Pillar meets the guard. I will be able to bring the cable there straight onto the snorkel and up on to the roof rack. I am going to put a 6" light under my awning so I will get it on the same way. Any ideas on what gauge cable is best?

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UminaTroll; 26th July 2016 at 01:57 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey UminaTroll,

Not sure if you've finished the job or still looking into it, but I've just done the same thing (even got one of the 37" extreme lights from @Lights which like @MudRunnerTD I would totally recommend, best LED light I've ever used/had/seen!).
    The way mine works is the cable runs from the battery on the drivers side, runs across the front of the engine bay, goes into the side of the air filter and then straight up the snorkel, comes out through the top of the snorkel (if you don't have a grommet here, something that makes it waterproof would obviously be a good idea) and from there it's only a short 20cm or so to the roof rack supports. I mounted my light underneath the roof rack, probably a good 10cm back so it's easy to hide wiring by the roof rack support, I glued some of the stuff you wrap around wiring to protect it (got no idea what thats called) inside of the roof channel and stuck the wiring into that, can't see it at all unless you're standing on the side steps.
    Hope all that makes sense, just my 2 cents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michaelgreeny For This Useful Post:

UminaTroll (26th July 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @UminaTroll I can chuck up some photos if you're interested.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    @UminaTroll I can chuck up some photos if you're interested.
    That would be great if you could. I was thinking I could run it up the inside of the snorkel but I was worried about punching a hole in the air box as it may let water in in a water crossing. It would be by far the tidiest solution though.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I ran my cable in from the "B" pillar with a 50 amp anderson plug for service/removal
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UminaTroll View Post
    snip.... Any ideas on what gauge cable is best?
    Depends on how much power you need... what wattage is the Bar and any other lights you are putting up there?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13843388_983743525068565_372324809_o.jpg13682619_983749261734658_633843154_o.jpg

Only got 2 photos, hopefully they show something useful, it's pouring with rain here so if you want more detailed ones tomorrow let me know.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to michaelgreeny For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (26th July 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast