User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting second fuel filter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick Google search and found that 4WD Systems sell them, and I also read a while back that Enzed were selling them. I got mine from Berrima Diesel about 8 years ago.

Can't see why you couldn't use two in line.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XTC For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (9th September 2011), JoeG (9th September 2011), YNOT (9th September 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    I did a quick Google search and found that 4WD Systems sell them, and I also read a while back that Enzed were selling them. I got mine from Berrima Diesel about 8 years ago.

Can't see why you couldn't use two in line.

We bought ours from our local Diesel Workshop/outlet. My original question was the out let is a little smaller and will this make the fuel pump work harder?
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The original filter is on the pump suction
    The new filter separator will also be on the pump suction doubling the resistance,
    it will mean as either one or both filters gets dirty you will slowly loose throughput and power
    How ever I fitted the same set up on my 1992 Hilux in 1994 and have not changed the factory fitted filter since then!
    I did however fit a new factory filter in 1994 when I fitted the CAV pre filter/separator setup
    I clean the glass bowl every 6 months and get around 10 - 20ml of black sludge and around 3ml of grit out of it
    Change the filter around every 2 years or 40,000km and no problems in all that time
    The set up on the GU will be treated the same
    Interestingly the Hilux has spent it's entire life on the east coast and I get fuel from high volume fuel outlets
    Still get sludge and grit though!
    We did get a load of wet fuel in Sydney (Kellyville) last year when we had a Rodeo and it stuttered on every hill at full throttle till I drained both filters and go rid of the water! (seems thenflow rate was high enough TO PASS THROUGH the Rodeo separator
    That's why I fitted the pre filter separator on the GU
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:

snicko (9th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubby has decided to fit the filter under the bonnet and cant prime the new filter. What would be the problem?
    Last edited by snicko; 10th September 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this might sound silly but they do have an in & an out so is it inline facing the correct way?

Other then that check for air leaks in the fittings & the assembly itself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

snicko (10th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the way he has fitted the hoses. Number 2 is hooked up to the tank and Number 4 is hooked up to the original filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks right so what has he tried to do so far?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has just tried to prime using the original filter primer.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I made a call to Tony to confirm what I was thinking & it may pay to wait until someone else to come along & have some input here as they may have a trick or two up there sleeve but I would start with filling the new filter with Diesel as a start.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Snicko
    As you have placed the filter separator under the bonnet this will always be a problem each time the filter is replaced, (unfortunately you can't fill the filter as the fuel gravity flows back to the tank)
    However it is quite simple to fix in a few different ways
    1. Remove the fuel line from the outlet of the original filter fit a long length of fuel hose to it (say 1 metre) and suck the fuel through, then place hose in a plastic bucket and prime till air stops then re connect original fuel line
    2. park on a hill facing down hill and when all fitted up start engine and drive away, the engine will run for a while then flame out on fuel starvation then re start as the fuel comes through
    (Only works for manuals)
    I use both methods as I have only manuals and live on a very steep hill
    Good luck
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast