Thread: Towing a Trol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a Trol

HI all

Just reading throught the owners manual (as you do!) and it says the Trol should never be towed with any wheels on the ground - only put on a flatbed. Now I thought thats why the transfer lever had a Neutral position so you can tow it?!? Can anyone confirm and if you can't, what is the Neutral position for?

Thanks

Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the T-case gets lubricated by an oil pump driven by the input shaft, then I would not tow it very far, as it may not get adequate lube.
    I do not think this t-case would have such a pump but I could be wrong.
    I would hapily tow my manual patrol with gearbox and transfer case in neutral at 60-80km/h for as long as I felt like it. I would check gearbox and t-case for heat etc during travel if I was concerned.
    All parts that move due to towing (axles, diff, t-case) get lubricated from the wheels turning and splash lubing.
    If it was auto, I would probably do the same.
    I would probably lock the front hubs in so that front and rear inputs are the same.

Maybe a Nissan t-case guru can shed more light
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The questions that also need to be asked is it auto or manual, and how far are you intending to tow said vehicle.

I thought auto box cars had to be towed with the rear wheels off the ground if rear wheel drive and vice versa for front wheel drive.

Not sure how that would affect a 4 wheel drive Patrol.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can shed some light.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys - yes it's manual, so was confused as to why it shouldn't be towed, especially if the transfer can be put in neutral too?!!?