Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 3" exhaust

After a bit of help, Just had a custom 3" s/s exhaust put in including dump pipe from Liverpool exhaust. great job, a bucket load more power after about 2000 rpm. The problem is if I keep the boot in up the hills to much, for some unknown reason the engine drops off all power. Is this what is called limp moad? I don`t have a egt gauge so no idea about exhause temps and it is not chipped. Just a 2011 model 3l common rail manual. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prob over boosting put on a boost guage to see whats going on if funds will allow a egt would be good also

4. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Steve4wdin (15th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X2 Ditto going into overboost, dual pillar pods seem to be the go
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Steve4wdin (15th July 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah just I thought, thanks guys but putting on guages will not solve the problem.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no it wont but it will confirm or cancel if that is the cause. check out the nissan reffrence document on this site it will tell you how to adjust your boost lvl its a great document you need to read owning a crd3ltr (though you need to have 20 post min to download it ) im on my phone atm so cant post a link to the file but its not hard to find.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly new to all things Patrol and CRD (have just bought a 2007 one) but...

wouldn't you expect some sort of warning light as it goes into limp mode?

I was under the impression that the CRD ECU's were much better at controlling over boost. Is the addition of the 3" exhaust enough to upset it?

Back on topic would a Scangauge or ECUtalk help diagnose if it is limp mode or not and be a simple reset?
    2007 CRD Ti Patrol - springs, shocks, tyres, dual batt, bits of NADS here and there… (lots more to come)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of research about this now. It seems that with the stock exhaust the turbo has to overcome about 8lb back presure before it can actually spool up, but with a 3" mandral bent exhaust there is only 2-3ib back presure. I put it down to similar to a smoker or non smoker.lol. So instead of only 14ib turbo presure it will spool up to 20+lb which aparently can be fatal. The two ways to compensate for this is to instal a valve to restrict over presure or a chip/module that can over ride the "ecu". So now, whats the great advantage of a bigger exhaust?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So heres the rap up. I am going to have a "Diesel Smart Module" instaled. I spoke to Adam from supercar performance today, (very helpfull) he is organising instalation and dyno to get the best result. I like there system as it does not put stress on the fuel pump or injectors but controls the max boost of turbo and plugs into the back of the injectors to controls the timing and duration of opening of the injector. I believe diesels run better on less fuel unlike petrol engines. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had mine go in limp mode up a hill climb and had a max of like 1100 rpm i think it was and had to shut down for a few mins to reset was rather annoying considering the position i was in but there was no warning lights no.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    So heres the rap up. I am going to have a "Diesel Smart Module" instaled. I spoke to Adam from supercar performance today, (very helpfull) he is organising instalation and dyno to get the best result. I like there system as it does not put stress on the fuel pump or injectors but controls the max boost of turbo and plugs into the back of the injectors to controls the timing and duration of opening of the injector. I believe diesels run better on less fuel unlike petrol engines. I will keep you all posted on the progress.
    Thanks Steve,

When did scott manage to get you in on the dyno? I sent your parts to him monday afternoon so he should have them today at the latest I would imagine. Will be nice to see another happy patrol owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast