Thread: installing a 2" lift in my GQ?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installing a 2" lift in my GQ?

hi guys.. how involved is installing a lift of new springs and shocks?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the right tools and basic mechanical knowledge it's very easy.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you based?? If around Brissy, happy to give you a hand to help out!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks bigrig.... but im in southern NSW in the snow. haha
    someone told me that you have to take the weight off the wheels which makes sense.. but whats the best way to do this??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've not done it previously, then get yourself a set of spring compressors ... You'll still need to jack it up but at least won't have to disconnect suspension arms (steering arm, panhard and tie rod) to get the springs in and out ... the compressors are relatively straight forward to use (make sure they're on side to side, compress each side a bit at a time - same for decompression - very important as you don't want them popping out at you as they pack a punch!!) - do one corner at a time and you'll still want a jack under each as you go (back from the front wheels, forward of the rear wheels) to get them flexing normally as much as possible so you have to compress less to remove them ...

The shocks are straight forward as such, but the rear ones can be a bit of a pain (just because of the top mounts).

Others will have advice on this one also mate - good luck with it and happy for you to PM me and I'll shoot you my mobile number - easier to discuss it over the phone.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinsell View Post
    thanks bigrig.... but im in southern NSW in the snow. haha
    someone told me that you have to take the weight off the wheels which makes sense.. but whats the best way to do this??
    Please don't be offended but I think it would be safer for you to get the lift installed by someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge. The last thing I want to read about is someone getting injured or worse because they were attempting something a bit too far past their capabillities.
    Is there anyone you know who knows how to do jobs like this who could give you some hands on help?

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 29th August 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Please don't be offended but I think it would be safer for you to get the lift installed by someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge. The last thing I want to read about is someone getting injured or worse because they were attempting something a bit too far past their capabillities.
    Is there anyone you know who knows how to do jobs like this who could give you some hands on help?

Tony
    Or you could do that!! lmao ... good point though ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks for the info! i do have a few friends that are more mechanical than i.. but yes i have been tossing up getting it done or doing it myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinsell View Post
    hey thanks for the info! i do have a few friends that are more mechanical than i.. but yes i have been tossing up getting it done or doing it myself.
    I did mine a little while back with a mate who knows stuff....................... took a couple of hours and found it well worth while, he supervised and made sure I didn't stuff up. But we had access to a fork lift and stands, so were able to remove springs with out a spring compressor, just undid the sway bars and panhards and shocks (I think thats what they were called), and lifted each end in turn being very very careful to make sure the diff breather pipes and break lines weren't pulled taught as the body rose from the axles, removed the old springs, then fitted the new springs and reversed the whole process. I found the fronts to be a little more fiddly due to the nature of the shocks................... I would have taken photos of the process but I got too excited and forgot, only got a picture of the forklift lifting the car
    Last edited by YNOT; 1st September 2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember that a 2" lift still has a slight effect on the caster angle, and is about the limit on a Patrol without installing a caster kit. I've done a few GQ/GU models that ended up with a steering vibration after a 2" lift and caster bushes had to be installed as well to correct it. Most lift kits come with the caster adjustment for such an occation, personally, I change them to avoid comebacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast