OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Up grading GQ Head Lights ????????

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of HID kits need to run Ballasts that have to be installed & wired in hence my (sort of) question "if you can wire in a car stereo" to ascertain your skill level & again my question on what you trying for here cos I have other cheaper & more simple & legal options for you if your interested?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep can do a radio with one eye shut!,As far as the lights go 6 mths ago i replaced my sealed beams as one was blown. Ever since and reading and hearing about HID, Halogen, Better brighter lights ive been keen on doing the upgrade, There's that much info,different kits e.g. had alook en ebay etc. Im'e lost on it and its just confusing me, 35w , 55w, 3000, 5000,12000,, H1, H4, H9 etc. etc. etc.the list goes on.Im'e confident to do wiring etc. but was just trying to sus out whats what with the enormous range out there, I would appreciate any options you have for me. I dont want the best most brightest/flashest lights you can get, just something relitively straight forward and more efficient than the sealed beam candles.Would appreciate any options you can give me. Cheers.
    89 GQ TD 42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Im hearing ya mate theirs so much out there & sometimes to much is just that too much so I will do my best to not add to your to much pile.....lol

Now if you want light power HID's are by far the way to go & not that hard to install but there is a side effect. In order to stop blinding on coming cars you really should adjust you low beams down but due to the HID setup you tend to loose a bit of your distance on your high beam now most ppl compensate this with HID driving lights but its another expense on top of your headlight upgrade that some some ppl don't want & keep in mine this may be illegal in your state. (although the 2 combined are just out of this world in terms of light power)

Now there are other much cheaper & legal options available that require no more in your case than to change to a H4 type headlight insert & a globe replacement & no wiring upgrade is needed (although you would get a better result again if you did upgrade your headlight wiring)

In this case by the inserts of your choice & a pare of Philips X-tremePower H4 globes (there spelling not mine)
    thay are a 60/55 rated globe but pump out 80% more light power than a STD 60/55 H4 with an impressive 25mtr longer beam than a STD H4 globe as well. these globes cost around $30 each trade which puts them up there in terms of price but this is a far cheaper option than HID's Take stuff all work to fit & are a very impressive light but in no way will thay out power a HID

Now the rule of thumb with most HID kits is stay the hell away from the cheapo Chinese kits cos thay do not last.

If you are interested in an HID kit PM me & I will get you some prices BUT these kits are not as cheap as the cheapo Ebay kits thay are however far cheaper than you will find in the stores & are top Quality.

I run them in my driving light & have not had a problem & man are thay bright.

Now I hope I've not confused you here but have given you some things to consider

Cheers
    Paul

p.s Im happy to answer anymore questions you may have so don't hesitate to ask
    Last edited by patch697; 13th August 2010 at 01:17 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (11th September 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ya Paul, Thats exactly what i was after Cheers. In the future i will upgrade to spotties as well so the semi-sealed insert and the philips globe for my headlights will be the answer for the time being and a wiring upgrade soon after. That was my biggest concern, melting the orig. wire,but as you say an upgrade would benefit me too.Just one more Question with the loom upgrade are the ready made ok or is it best to do your own.e.g. any diagrams or anything around? Thanks again i can get a good nights sleep at last!!
    89 GQ TD 42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get ready made looms that are the ducks guts but if your handy with a soldering iron it would probably save you some coin & when the time comes I can help you make one from start to finish its not that hard if you have someone explain it to you.

I think you will be very happy with your upgrade thay will be a big improvement over sealed beam.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks paul,Just one more Q. I looked at some semi-sealed inserts and i noticed one lot i looked at didn't have the reflector which would end up in front of the globe,Anyway iv'e ordered some Narva ones and they have the reflector,what would the differance be?with or without reflector. Cheers
    89 GQ TD 42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the way in which the light is defused depending on the type of glob thay run as well to some extent. Brands also differ & it also to do with the shape of the reflector itself... Normally the ones that have them need then & the ones that don't, don't (as a rule anyway).

I personally prefer the beam (pattern of the light) on the ones that have this reflector your talking about so good choice.

Just a thought? did you go for water resistant type inserts (being semi sealed job Im assuming yes) (thay generally have a rubber boot for the back of the light itself) Thay are the preferred choice in 4x4's (IPF are the brand of choice here but also one of the most expensive). It will also pay to grab 3 of the philips globs as thay ain't stocked by everyone like a STD H4 & it pays to carry a spare.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by patch697; 13th August 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep its got the rubber boot,Narva were the next cheapest down from Hella,got them for $40 each and they go for up to $65 each and ime getting two pair of the X-treme H4 got them down to $30 each,Cant wait till night time!!!!! Cheers and thanks again for ya help.
    89 GQ TD 42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89GQ View Post
    Yep its got the rubber boot,Narva were the next cheapest down from Hella,got them for $40 each and they go for up to $65 each and ime getting two pair of the X-treme H4 got them down to $30 each,Cant wait till night time!!!!! Cheers and thanks again for ya help.
    Keep me posted as to how it go's? Im sure you'll be happy with the improvement but the feedback would be good for others who are looking to do the same as you.

Cheers
    Paul

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is jumping the gun a bit but when your ready to do your drivers don't go though this again just pop in here & I'll get you sorted..... Without turning your brain to mush......lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast