Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just sent Daniel from the ACCC a link to this thread, as it has all of the information that they will require.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spelled it out on 4wd Action as well Doggy, onya mate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Woof (4th September 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just received this from Daniel:

Dear Wayne
    Thanks for the information. I have forwarded the information on to our Product Safety team, including news of the recent death in Geraldton. I believe they are looking into the issue.
    If you wish to speak to someone directly, you would be able to catch them during Eastern States business hours through the Infocentre number of 1300 302 502. The best person to speak to would be Mr Glenn Probyn.
    Regards
    Daniel Kilderry

Senior Investigations Officer
    ACCC WA Regional Office
    (08) 9325 0609
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

AB (8th September 2011), Clunk (9th September 2011), DX grunt (8th September 2011), Silver (7th September 2011), snicko (7th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Doggy, I sure hope that something is done about it, we can't have people die, just because some sellers have no conscience.
    What enters their mind that makes them decide to market something so deadly as a towball safe shackle?.
    They obviously never take their head out of the nose bag long enough to see what is going on around them!!
    Last edited by the ferret; 7th September 2011 at 09:01 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Woof (7th September 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be interesting to see how this all pans out I reckon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Shackle, its design or rating within itself and also one of my pet hates is that so many people only think "Snatch Strap" when the word "Recovery" is used. The vast majority of my recovories involve a belt under the ear from the Missus, a long handled shovel and some sweat.

Anyway... What IS wrong IMHO is that the Shackle is being sold as part of a Snatch Recovery Kit and the upshot of that is that the Kit has to have Mandatory Warnings saying don't use a Towball as an attachement point for a Snatch Strap. Thats why I made the comment waaaay back that the dude will probably get sued in a civil action for facilitating the use of the Tow Ball for a Snatch recovery by including them in a Snatch Recover Kit.

There is no such mandatory warning requirement for Winching or Towing etc.

Indeed the manufacturer is probably correct in his assertion that the Shackle is an excellent option for attaching a tow rope to a vehicle. Lets face it, if you are towing, I stress towing not snatching, and the Ball snaps it is immaterial if the tow attachment method was a Tow Hitch, Tow Ball Shackle, Rope or the belt off the jolly green Giant looped over the Ball.

Bottom line is that if the product is not used in conjunction with a Snatch Strap it is a legit solution and dare I even say a good idea. Whether any outlet refuses to stock and sell the thing or individuals refuse to purchase or use them as a gesture towards promoting safer 4X'ing is another issue.

As I said, 'twill be interesting but I'd bet money that the device isn't marketed with a Snatchie after the ACCC have a look. As for a total ban, well, I'm not sure about that...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (9th September 2011), Woof (8th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work raising awareness lads.

I'm over on Stradbroke Island right now and over the last week have been constantly reminded that you don't require common sense or 2 IQ points to rub together to own a 4WD or get a permit for beach access.

Classic example today... Saw two lolux/ute type vehicles with road tires traveling together. One got stuck at the entry to our campsite. No digging, no air reduction, brand new snatch strap straight onto the tow ball and out after several gos.

Same vehicle a couple of hrs later got bogged again in the same place! I walked over whilst he was airing down his lo profile road tires and said "mate, do you want to try digging it out before a tow ball recovery? He didn't even look up and grunted through gritted teeth "no". So I walked away and cleared some kids out of the area.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316776427.945054.jpg

Well, they got out without a dampener, without digging and without utilising rated recovery points. At least they didn't hurt anyone.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to frenzy For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (23rd September 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nob heads!!!!!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been posted elsewhere, but will be of some interest:

A mate doing testing on snatch straps as part of an engineering degree, found the following re "shock" loadings on snatching "Hit the 8 tonne limit about 14 km/hr, around 13 tonne at about 21 km/hr. Exceeded the SWL of 2x rating (theoretically) at about 27 km/hr"
    Last edited by TimE; 24th December 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (24th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is a good thread, as i didnt realise or even consider the ball breaking,
    But i have always looked for stronger hitch points, if avail, ie all 4x4s have em, and almost every car,
    this is a great site for tips and tricks, like lookin arround

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rockndot For This Useful Post:

Woof (10th January 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't confuse tie down points with recovery points mate they can have the same bullet effect as a towball!!!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Woof (10th January 2012)

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast