Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I knew what was coming Rod, so I moved to the left of the monitor and ducked......................bloody frightening stuff..
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I looked at many more while watching those two. And saw some little kiddies close to very strained winch cable as it broke, luckily, it didn't go towards them. I am starting to fear being recovered!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went to a supercheap store today on a mission and checked out the snatch straps for the obligatory warning lable.
    Basicly it said "the buyer should do a 4x4 course and make sure all hook up points are suitable and properly fitted"
    NOT good enough in my book.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Woof (28th August 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    And I looked at many more while watching those two. And saw some little kiddies close to very strained winch cable as it broke, luckily, it didn't go towards them. I am starting to fear being recovered!

Tim
    In the recoveries I have been involved with the vast majority have not required much force or energy to extract the stuck vehicle, most times it's just a gentle pull through a snatch strap. In these cases if a properly rated strap in good condition is hooked up to proper recovery points with a cable damper over the strap and minimal force is applied, the recovery can be completed in complete safety as none of the elements or components used is stressed to anywhere near their limits. It goes without saying that spectators are moved well clear before any vehicle moves.

The recoveries that you need to fear are where a vehicle is heavily stuck requiring a lot more force to remove it. In these cases you need to do every thing possible to make the recovery as easy as possible (digging around tyres and under vehicle, road building etc) to reduce the force required. If you take the time to assess every situation, plan the recovery properly and use the right equipment (which means going out prepared) there is no reason for the situation to be dangerous.

Tony

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Clunk (27th August 2011), Finly Owner (30th August 2011), growler2058 (27th August 2011), GUtsy ute (2nd September 2011), nowoolies (29th August 2011), snicko (29th August 2011), Woof (28th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very True Tony, some of the attempted recoveries of a fully bogged 4x4, I mean half way up the doors in mud, should be winched out.
    Some folk think that the snatch strap is the answer in all situations, but they are best used for sand or slippery circumstances.
    The mentallity of trying to snatch 3 ton of vehicle bogged upto the steps in mud is beyond me.
    They are not a magic potion and this is when things go wrong, especially when the Gung ho or hero attitude is employed.
    Rod.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Clunk (27th August 2011), nowoolies (29th August 2011), snicko (29th August 2011), Woof (28th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the one good thing which has come out of this recent tragity, is that plenty of discussion has be generated on hundreds of four wheel drive and camping forums across the net, and many people who were not aware of the dangers of various recovery techniques, are now asking a few questions and gaining a bit of knowledge, and will hopefully be doing this stuff a little safer in the future.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XTC For This Useful Post:

Clunk (1st September 2011), snicko (29th August 2011), Woof (28th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the other day I tied two ratchet straps together to pull my truck out of the bog, strap snapped and went straight through the back of a mates 4 runner back window and out the front. was lucky no one got hurt. will be buying a good snatch strap to use in future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    Probably the one good thing which has come out of this recent tragity, is that plenty of discussion has be generated on hundreds of four wheel drive and camping forums across the net, and many people who were not aware of the dangers of various recovery techniques, are now asking a few questions and gaining a bit of knowledge, and will hopefully be doing this stuff a little safer in the future.
    So very true and an excellent post I must say.
    I had high hopes that the word would be spread and it seems to have been.
    BUT there will still be the odd occasion when someone will join two tie down straps in an emergency and come to grief, they will usually break at the knot, and the knot is a very compacted bit of gear to be heading your way, enough to enter your head at the front and leave via the back of your skull.
    Many thanks to Doggy for getting the ball rolling on this subject and it's upto all members, not just of this forum but any forum that you may be a member of, to pass the word on and refuse to help anyone who wants to snatch using the towball.
    If they don't know about it, put them in the picture, if they still don't agree, leave them to dig their way out.
    Hopefully the Google worm will have picked up the discussions and more folk will be alerted to the dangers of TOWBALL recovery.
    Ferret.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Clunk (28th August 2011), Finly Owner (30th August 2011), snicko (29th August 2011), Woof (28th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the strap through hitch pin may not the best idea also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcv3yII7zUc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true mate, but at least you wont wear a towball, just the strap as the pin won't break.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast