Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...and not a bad idea Silver.

I thought of writing off to the Gov't Man and telling him to legislate so the Loops couldn't be any bigger than 45mm and you couldn't pass the strap thru.

That means they wouldn't fit over a Towball but would still take a rated Shackle below 8.5 Tons.

That dude who makes those "Safety Shackles" that are designed to go on a Tow Ball is going to get his rrse sued one day for sure. Yes, what he makes is legal, Yes, it says on the strap you shouldn't snatch off the Ball but he is facilitating the ability to do so.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterdays Daily Telegraph

Rescue ends in death
    A woman died when a rope smashed through a car window during the rescue of a friends car in WA on Saturday.
    The 29 year old mother was sitting in the passenger seat while the other car was being towed out of the sand at a beach near Geraldton.
    A rope attached to the tow ball of the other car broke, striking the other woman in the throat.

Facts all ignored?
    Didn't take oportunity to explain cause and warn of incorrect proceedures.
    Missed the mark completely I believe.
    Just another dangerous 4WD story I reckon.
    Macca

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ...and not a bad idea Silver.

I thought of writing off to the Gov't Man and telling him to legislate so the Loops couldn't be any bigger than 45mm and you couldn't pass the strap thru.

That means they wouldn't fit over a Towball but would still take a rated Shackle below 8.5 Tons.

That dude who makes those "Safety Shackles" that are designed to go on a Tow Ball is going to get his rrse sued one day for sure. Yes, what he makes is legal, Yes, it says on the strap you shouldn't snatch off the Ball but he is facilitating the ability to do so.
    The small loop sounds like a good idea - I wonder what the downsides are - maybe they make them long to reduce the load on the first few sets of stitches? It would also make joining them problematic.

With my sticker idea, I reckon most would go into the bin - but hopefully some that were binned would be read first.

The issue with engaging the Gov't, they are likely to come up with some sort of competency based testing and licensing, on a cost recovery/user paid basis as a condition of a beach permit, forest permit etc. Maybe that's ok, maybe not. Depends on point of view I guess. I think they already do it for offshore tourists on Fraser Island.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What chance have the new 4wd owners got when stuff like this is available to purchase.
    I have sent a request to the seller to remove the product, I would encourage others to do the same then maybe they will get the hint...
    If it has not been removed in the next few days then I well be taking it further..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RECOVERY-...item27bcece022
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

the ferret (24th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went there to do the same Wayne, and it's gone!! thank goodness, one person has bought one tho, they should be notified of the danger.
    Rod.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I just went there to do the same Wayne, and it's gone!! thank goodness, one person has bought one tho, they should be notified of the danger.
    Rod.
    Hey Rod, it is still there mate and they are still taking orders..
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's strange, I had the item on ebay up after clicking on the link you posted, it was there so I went to his web address in the item description and was going to advise him, but it said "this item has been removed".
    Some have already been sold though and the buyers need to be informed of the danger.
    Unsafe products can be reported to the ACCC on www.productsafety.gov.au via the 'Report an unsafe Product' link.
    Cheers Rod.
    Being an Ebayer myself, I can't really get involved with the seller.
    Last edited by the ferret; 24th August 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Well that's strange, I had the item on ebay up after clicking on the link you posted, it was there so I went to his web address in the item description and was going to advise him, but it said "this item has been removed".
    Some have already been sold though and the buyers need to be informed of the danger.
    Unsafe products can be reported to the ACCC on www.productsafety.gov.au via the 'Report an unsafe Product' link.
    Cheers Rod.
    Being an Ebayer myself, I can't really get involved with the seller.
    Thanks Rod, will follow it up tomorrow mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate this is a fantastic thread i diddn't realise that the tow balls can come off, I would have assumed that it was rated @ 3500kg so would have been fine. I will let everybody I know the danger, Cheers Glenn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tadpole For This Useful Post:

Woof (24th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good on you Glenn, it is surprising that there are a lot of 4wd owners that do not know this mate, so pass the word it could save a life..

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast