Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Contact ARB, TJM and OPPOSITE LOCK as well as your states 4x4 body and demand it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you should never go 4x4ing without a proper kit with straps etc and rated front recovery points. in the bush nothing worse than coming across someone stuck with no equipment

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    Makes you think.
    Saw this pic on the ARB 4x4 fb page and checked to see if any of you guys had found it. Not surprised. BUMP.
    Are you ready for Christmas?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oversize For This Useful Post:

Woof (14th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems that this is growing momentum in the 4x4 community, has taken a while but it is getting out there now................we (nissanpatrol.com.au) would like to thank everyone who has passed on to others the danger of this practice, WELL DONE ALL
    Last edited by Woof; 14th July 2012 at 12:33 AM.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (14th July 2012), patrol2.8 (17th July 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats scary, I can only imagine the damage something like that would do to a person.
    Last edited by Ricardo00; 17th July 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just this morning had to drag a cemment truck out that was stuck on wet grass and guess what he hooked straight over my tow ball so i showed him the pick above and he had never heard of towballs breaking before so theres one more educated
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrol2.8 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th July 2012), Woof (18th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much would a cement truck weigh? I reckon it would have ripped the ball off in no time! 1 more educated is a god thing.

Ps. I did get your pm patrol2.8, I should have the layouts up tonight.... Been a bit flatout

Tap, crackle, pop
    Hello from Under Down Under!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

patrol2.8 (19th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After doing an Extreme trip last weekend i pulled up at the top of the Reefton Spur to air up. There was 2 blokes in very well sorted GQs sitting at the top doing the same.

They both had full bar work to front and back, sliders, Himount Turbos on TD42s, Himount Winches, Rasler Rear bars with Swing away wheel carriers. I leaned on my bull bar checking out their 2 cars as they were near Identical to look at to each other, all the same mods, very tidy. One of the blokes even commented on my Cheezy bar and said that he used to work for Cheezy making bar work for him........

So......

Here i am leaning on my car waiting for the tyres to air up and i notice that BOTH cars have a tow bar slotted into their rear bar and BOTH had a Tow Ball in place.??????

So i say "hey guys? what do you use as a rear recovery point? you know, where do you put your snatch strap?" Ol' Mate says " ahh just over the tow ball mate!"

So Mr nice guy left immediately and i tore these to clowns a new neck! " What do you mean over the Tow ball that is just DUMB mate! Do you know that they will shear off under load?" "Yeah" he says " but we are careful and i have just never worried about it"

Getting quite loud now i am!!! "Mate its not you that will wear it in the face! If that thing shears off its the bloke your snatching that will cop it in the head bud! Fair Dinkum mate! Thats pretty poor"

Embarrassed, the two guys both tried to get out of my way and went back to the front of their cars to concentrate on airing up under their bonnet.

Not finished but also concerned that i have only aggravated them i went back for another go....

"Sorry guys, dont mean to have a go or get stuck into you but fair dinkum its pretty average mate" "Yeah i know but we just do it anyway" Tsssssss..

"Guys your Not the problem mate, Its the bloke that has No Idea that sees blokes like you that should know better do it and thinks that is the way its done! He then does it and teaches that to his kids or his mates and is out bush one day and the worst thing happens and some kid or bloke or wife dies because he saw you do it" "Its just bloody average mate, Its not hard! Piss the bar off and at worse use your F*&^king Pin!"

Bewildered i went back to my car.

They both had a sticker on their car from a Vic based FaceBook 4x4 Club. LIFT YOUR F*&KING GAME GENTLEMEN!!

Rant over!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Benno7 (1st August 2012), growler2058 (1st August 2012), Lionel84 (24th February 2021), neet_wagon (5th February 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (1st August 2012), patrol2.8 (14th September 2012), Winnie (1st August 2012), Woof (1st August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's crazy!? Especially when you can get a hitch receiver for less than 40 bucks! To buy all those mods and not even see the hitch receiver sitting in the shop!

Tap, crackle, pop
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate that is what flat out astounded me! These were fully modded cars, not much left on the wish list and nothing that it needed on the outside and a bloody tow ball hanging off the back!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast