Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Just putting it up as a stand alone thread, we have to promote this as much as we can...if this saves one life then it is worth it.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...s-another-life
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ch-Strap-death
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

AB (22nd August 2011), Aquarian51 (22nd August 2011), Briss (21st September 2015), Clunk (21st August 2011), Finly Owner (24th August 2011), jack (11th May 2012), katwoman (22nd August 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (21st August 2011), snicko (25th August 2011), tadpole (24th August 2011), the ferret (21st August 2011), timbar (22nd August 2011), twisty (22nd August 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ya snatch ya ball, it'll end in tears.

Ball bustin is not a spectator sport, no snatch here.

If you need a pull, leave your ball alone.

I thought the transport Depts could issue this to all 4wd owners as stickers with their rego, to stick above the towbar :-)

And sincere sympathy to the people who have learned this lesson the hard way, and to their families. Such a shame.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been talking about warnings on snatch straps regarding towballs, here it is in black and white, has anyone got a snatch strap with ALL of the mandatory warnings affixed?
    If not, why not? as they must be supplied with instuctions and warnings regarding towballs before being imported or sold.
    Please take the time to read below, in particular reg. 9

Hi guys, here is the regulation regarding snatch straps and their use.

In particular, regulation 9.

Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standard) (Motor Vehicle Recovery Straps) Regulations 2010

or go to www.productsafety.gov.au and look under 'vehicle accessories'
    Mandatory standard- Motor vehicle recovery straps.
    Last edited by the ferret; 22nd August 2011 at 03:40 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Bob (22nd August 2011), Finly Owner (24th August 2011), Woof (22nd August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just read that Rod, and to me it gives a false impression on the short introduction, unless you click on the heading and open up the extended section for more information, then you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page where it tells you not to attach snatch straps to tow balls.
    Not good enough in my opinion, but thanks for posting up the site mate.
    http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont...mItemId/974643
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne, I wasn't too sure how to post it.
    My main concern is that it is now LAW to have these warnings including towballs on the packet and on the strap!
    I would be interested as to weather this is in fact the case as I have not seen any snatch straps with the specific warning about towball attachment.
    Cheers Rod.
    EDIT: This is the warning that must be a part of the snatch strap after July 2010, I havn't seen it!!

The information must also include the following:

■‘WARNING—Always follow product instructions. It is important to correctly attach the motor vehicle recovery strap to a motor vehicle. A standard tow ball or vehicle tie-down point is not designed for this purpose and may result in the strap or a vehicle component detaching from a motor vehicle and striking and seriously injuring or killing a person. Only attach the strap to a vehicle recovery point or device that is suitably rated for use with the strap. Incorrect use has previously resulted in serious injury and death.’
    Last edited by the ferret; 22nd August 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just check mine Rod, they are about 3 years old and no mention of tow balls on them, reading the link that you posted labeling was only made mandatory on 1st October 2010.
    Would be interested to hear from anyone that has purchased one since then.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had a couple of members Pm me about this horrible news.

Not sure if this article has been posted somewhere else but here is a link regarding the latest accident over in WA...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...towing-mishap/

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (24th August 2011), Silver (22nd August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a mate of mine always throws it over his towball and won't listen no matter how many times i tell him not. i refuse to snatch him from his towball, but others just throw it on their towball to and do a towball to towball snatch. they just won't listen

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I posted up the extract of the Mandatory Statement in response to Doggy's post in my thread here
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...468#post132468

All of the Straps I have purchased recently for myself or on behalf of my 4WD club plus the ones in our Wa Gov't Fleet Vehicles and in my SES Unit vehicles come with the mandatory warnings as per the product Standard.

It would be a very very silly person who sold one without them as the fines etc are pretty impressive to say the least let alone the liability if someone got hurt.

Many of our straps are custom made IE not mass produced for ARB, Just straps etc etc. Even when we get a "1 off" it comes with the Warnings.

The problem is that most people just "hook in" and don't bother reading anything. It's human nature unfortunately and what could be simpler... "its a strap with a loop at each end... hmmm what will I loop it over?"
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hence my sticker idea.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast