OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How dyneema rope soft shackles are made.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How dyneema rope soft shackles are made.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (19th February 2021), MudRunnerTD (18th February 2021), Sherro (19th February 2021), Touses (19th February 2021), Truckus (19th February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have made a few 12mm soft shackles and spent many hours trawling YouTube looking for techniques. Most guys make them out of 6mm and 8mm for boating. I really struggled to find any decent vids ans certainly nothing relating to 12mm damn it. I had to do all the maths myself.

That vid is a Bloody Rippa Find! End of story! Great Vid.

The blind knot technique he uses is heaps easier than what I found for the same result.

Great Find! Thanks for posting that.

Next time I make one iwill use this Vid 100%
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (19th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love the knitting needle Fid too. Awesome Hack.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sobFjjh8Pbg

The big problem is the front recovery points on my Patrol have sharp corners. I did get one laser cut out of 20mm hardened steel, and am in the process of rounding off the corners.

I would like to send it away to be tested against one with sharp edges.

I can't fit it to my vehicle, because of the winch cradle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sobFjjh8Pbg

The big problem is the front recovery points on my Patrol have sharp corners. I did get one laser cut out of 20mm hardened steel, and am in the process of rounding off the corners.

I would like to send it away to be tested against one with sharp edges.

I can't fit it to my vehicle, because of the winch cradle.
    You could put a steel shackle on the recovery point but on a double line pull the winch hook is at the car anyway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is correct, but adds another failure point, and takes away the whole point of the soft shackle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @threedogs, John, where did you get your recovery points tested. And are you willing to send another point to them to get tested with soft shackles?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    That is correct, but adds another failure point, and takes away the whole point of the soft shackle.
    Not really. In a double line pull the soft shackle and Snatch Ring are at the turning point. If they fail they are coming at you. If the shackle under your car fails it is outward bound.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Not really. In a double line pull the soft shackle and Snatch Ring are at the turning point. If they fail they are coming at you. If the shackle under your car fails it is outward bound.
    Dont know if it's just me, but a metal ring friction spinning through a synthetic soft shackle, inward bound if it fails, gives me the heeby jeebies. Why is this preferred over a rolling snatch block?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Dont know if it's just me, but a metal ring friction spinning through a synthetic soft shackle, inward bound if it fails, gives me the heeby jeebies. Why is this preferred over a rolling snatch block?
    That last vid that Mudnut posted is worth watching mate. The 12mm soft shackle failed at +26Ton.. the Snatch Block has a proven efficiency of 1:1.8 and the Snatch ring is 1:1.7 ans the fiction is negligible i the scheme of things..

The considerations I would give are these.

1. If i was using a Snatch block I would probably stick with a steel shackle as per general concepts.

2. If i was going to use a snatch ring then a Soft Shackle is the only way to go.

A Snatch block has some sharper edges so I think a soft shackle is not ideal IMO.

Snatch block and Steel shackle OR snatch ring and Soft shackle.

Either way WINCH BLANKET RECOMMENDED.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 19th February 2021 at 10:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast