OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Learn something new everyday (Preventing Rust)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn something new everyday (Preventing Rust)

GU is now 18yrs old and goes to Fraser a couple of times every year so rust was always going to be a problem sooner or later. Had windscreen replaced many years ago and a dodgy job did not seal it properly. Got a couple of chips on new screen recently and before I could fix them, a crack started when hit by another rock. So replace this windscreen and found considerable rust in channel above windscreen.
    While getting repair done, found more rust in bottom of mudguard as in photo although I have always cleaned the sand out but obviously not well enough. Panelbeater showed how to make sure it is clean by undoing two bolts at bottom of picture and gently pulling bottom out enough to get hose or compressed air in from end near the door to get all sand out. Real easy with 10mm socket. Let air dry and spray your choice of oil or Inox etc to cover up inside. Will do this every time back from the Island, probably 3 time this year.
    Not sure if same on Gq.
    Marks in photo are stone chips which have not rusted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 20th April 2024 at 12:59 AM.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (19th April 2024), MudRunnerTD (20th April 2024), Touses (21st April 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,761 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend before application of the anti rust system that you thoroughly wash the area with a rust converter product - plenty on the market - Bunnings have a suitable one, as this will arrest the chemical conversion process by converting the rust patch into a benign element - then apply the preventative coating, wax, oil, donkey drippings, whatever over that, I found minor areas of surface rust in the donor body on the GQ and bought a couple of bottles of the Bunnings converter, loaded up the plastic syringe and doused very crevice including the roof , windscreen and doors with it, saturated the car and floorpan. I am relaxed about rust prevention with this approach.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (21st April 2024)