Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking front axle seal

Not changed these before.

GU with auto hubs.

Done about 5000 Ks with a very leaky seal on the drivers side. I'm expecting all the grease to be stuffed.

Been watching some YT vids and the most difficult bit looks like removing the needle bearing out of the spindle.

I've done about 10K on new bearings so I'm hoping they're not stuffed.

Dumb question 1 - Could I get away without removing the king pin bearings and regrease them in place? Same with the needle bearing?

Dumb question 2 - I got no bearing pullers. Anyone have a spare puller they may want to sell? This isn't a job I'll be doing often and spending $$$s on one use tools is not something I enjoy.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Not changed these before.

GU with auto hubs.

Done about 5000 Ks with a very leaky seal on the drivers side. I'm expecting all the grease to be stuffed.

Been watching some YT vids and the most difficult bit looks like removing the needle bearing out of the spindle.

I've done about 10K on new bearings so I'm hoping they're not stuffed.

Dumb question 1 - Could I get away without removing the king pin bearings and regrease them in place? Same with the needle bearing?

Dumb question 2 - I got no bearing pullers. Anyone have a spare puller they may want to sell? This isn't a job I'll be doing often and spending $$$s on one use tools is not something I enjoy.

Any other tips?

Thanks.
    Q1. Yes. I’ve never changed out the needle bearings in mine. If they ain’t broke…

Q2. I have gear pullers that can grab from the inside also. Probably too big for those needle rollers though.

Axle seals are a right PIA. I think Superior Engineering have these special fandangled axle seal, I’ve only used genuine seals as I found they worked the best. Next seal leak I will give those a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

10G (5th March 2024)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Q1. Yes. I’ve never changed out the needle bearings in mine. If they ain’t broke…

Q2. I have gear pullers that can grab from the inside also. Probably too big for those needle rollers though.

Axle seals are a right PIA. I think Superior Engineering have these special fandangled axle seal, I’ve only used genuine seals as I found they worked the best. Next seal leak I will give those a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mr Mudski. Think I'll purchase a set of 'pullers', if I don't use 'em again, I can flog 'em on Fazeberk or similar and get some money back on 'em.